Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

reciprocal link mod!

Quote Reply
reciprocal link mod!
I have been through all the reciprical and reciprocal link messages on this site. I have downloaded Delay's information and all the changes I made to my pages seem to work but when you run the script that is on that download page [Delay's page] the script runs in admin the window, then a page pops up for a split second saying click here to see results and disapears before you can click. Then the recip.html page appears but is blank. Also is the fetch.pl part of the recip.cgi. If so wouldn't this have been fixed in the recip.cgi file? ALso wouldn't all changes have been done to correct problems? HELP!!!!!Shocked
rexxx webmaster
Quote Reply
Re: [rexxx] reciprocal link mod! In reply to
Yeah, had the same problem a week ago. Simple(ish) fix though.

Find in recip.cgi (or whatever you called it);

open (REPORT, ">$recip_report");

and change to;

open (REPORT, ">$recip_report") || &error("$!");

Then at the bottom of the script add;

sub error {

my $error = shift;
print "There was an error. IT was: $error";
exit;

}

Then when the file is not written correctly it wi bring up an error and let you know. The problem where it is ot updating isprobably down to a CHMOD or path problem. The error should let you know in more detail Tongue

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] reciprocal link mod! In reply to
Well it prints something but on the page that appears for less than a second before the recip.html file appears. So I don't know what it is saying!!Mad
rexxx webmaster
Quote Reply
Sigh...

Why do you keep putting scalars inside quotations Cool
Quote Reply
Ok so here is what comes up:

: text/html Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=97 Connection: Keep-Alive Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/plain 482 Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Next 20Done. Click Here to View Report. 0

Then after this the recip.html pages shows with the this:

Reciprical Link Report

Tuesday, February 5 2002 - 18:24:57

That's it so now all I need is to find out what recip.cgi is doing then get it to make the report the report right?
rexxx webmaster
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] reciprocal link mod! In reply to
How is the other problem I emailed you about?

Rexxx
rexxx webmaster
Quote Reply
I can see this is going to go nowhere. I think or it maybe that the post in the GT is where the answers are. But you have to be a programer to know when to put something in and not. Because there is no way that the recip.cgi could have ever worked. The proof is in the pudding. IT DON'T WORK and thats a fact!!!!!!!!!
rexxx webmaster
Quote Reply
It does work, cos I've had it working on 3 sites Wink Its just the error reporting by default is crap!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Great you got it working! How about sending me your cgi? This is great now I can get on to something else.

SmileSmileSmile
rexxx webmaster
Quote Reply
Sue, I'll email it over as soon as i get home (at work at the moment).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] reciprocal link mod! In reply to
Hi Andy,

I had the exact same problem as Redxx. When I ran the recip.cgi I would see a link at the top of the page for less than a second them I got a blank recip.html page. I added the lines of script you posted here and now I get a server error 500. I have no idea why.

Also when I run add.cgi I get a blank page with the error "Unkown Tag: recip" I have followed the mod instructions exactly and when over it three time to make sure I did everything right. Still I can't get the add form to come up and keep getting that error.

Please advise me if you know a solution

Thanks, Doug
Quote Reply
Re: [Technel] reciprocal link mod! In reply to
Hi All,

Well it took some doing and experimenting but I got the add.cgi to work and the recip.cgi to work. I don't get anything but a Reciprical Link Report

Tuesday, December 2 2003 - 23:25:50

I don't see how this thing works. I added a site with a URL for the link page that DID NOT have a link to my site on it and it validated and still no report was made. How in the hect do you use this reciprical link check anyhow? I don't get it.

One thing I would like to do is get the reciprical link the user gives me to show up as an HTML hyperlink. That would be an easy way to check for the return link. If I could make it show up as a hyperlink in the admin area I could deal with that. At least and this point I know where my link is supposed to be but I would have to copy and paste the URL in another browser window to look for my link. Clicking it to open another window would be great. Any ideas on how to do that?

Any help is appreciated,

Doug

Quote Reply
This mod will make a link to the site from the admin, but goes to the URL entered in field 2 (?).

http://gossamer-threads.com/...mp;ubb=005723:Forum3

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] reciprocal link mod! In reply to
Thanks,

I followed the instructions exacly but I get the following error

Error including libraries: Missing right bracket at /usr/local/apache/www/sites4singles/cgi-bin/dating/admin/db_utils.pl line 640, at end of linesyntax error at /usr/local/apache/www/sites4singles/cgi-bin/dating/admin/db_utils.pl line 640, at EOFMake sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.So I had to change back to my backup copyDoug
Quote Reply
Here's the two subs from db_utils.pl, changes in red:

sub build_html_record {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# Builds a record based on the config information.
#
my (%rec) = @_;
my ($output, $field);

$output = "<p><table border=1 width=450>\n";
foreach $field (@db_cols) {
next if ($db_form_len{$field} == -1);
## next added LT url-admin view mod**************
if ($field eq "URL" && $rec{$field} ne "") {
$output .= qq~ <tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font>$field:</font></td> <td width=80%><$font><a href="$rec{$field}" target="_blank">$rec{$field}</a></font></td></tr> ~;
}
else {
$output .= qq~
<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font>$field:</font></td>
<td width=80%><$font>$rec{$field}</font></td></tr>
~;
}
## end added LT***************

}
$output .= "</table></p>\n";
return $output;
}

sub build_html_record_form {
#--------------------------------------------------------
# Builds a record form based on the config information.
#
my ($output, $field, $multiple, $name);
($_[0] eq "multiple") and ($multiple = 1) and shift;
my (%rec) = @_;
$output = "<p><table border=1>";
# Go through a little hoops to only load category list when absolutely neccessary.
if ($in{'db'} eq 'links') {
exists $db_select_fields{$db_cols[$db_category]}
or ($db_select_fields{$db_cols[$db_category]} = join (",", &category_list));
($db_select_fields{$db_cols[$db_alt]} = $db_select_fields{'Mult-AltCategories'} = join (",", &category_list));
}
else {
$db_select_fields{'Related'} or
($db_select_fields{'Related'} = $db_select_fields{'Mult-Related'} = join ",", &category_list);
}
foreach $field (@db_cols) {
# Set the field name to field-key if we are doing multiple forms.
$multiple ? ($name = "$field-$rec{$db_key}") : ($name = $field);
if ($db_select_fields{"Mult-$field"}) {$output .= "<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font>$field:</font></td><td width=80%>" . &build_select_field($field, $rec{$field}, $name, "MULTIPLE SIZE=5") . "</td></tr>\n";}
elsif ($db_select_fields{$field}) {$output .= "<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font>$field:</font></td><td width=80%>" . &build_select_field($field, $rec{$field}, $name) . "</td></tr>\n"; }
elsif ($db_radio_fields{$field}) {$output .= "<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font>$field:</font></td><td width=80%>" . &build_radio_field($field, $rec{$field}, $name) . "</td></tr>\n"; }
elsif ($db_checkbox_fields{$field}) {$output .= "<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font>$field:</font></td><td width=80%>" . &build_checkbox_field ($field, $rec{$field}, $name) . "</td></tr>\n"; }
elsif ($db_form_len{$field} =~
/(\d+)x(\d+)/) {$output .= qq~<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font>$field:</font></td><td width=80%><textarea wrap="virtual" name="$name" cols="$1" rows="$2">$rec{$field}</textarea></td></tr>\n~;}
elsif ($db_form_len{$field} == -1) {$output = qq~<input type=hidden name="$field" value="$rec{$field}">\n$output~; }

## next added LT admin url-view mod ##*************
else {
if ($field eq "URL" && $rec{$field} ne "" && $rec{$field} ne "http://") {
$output .= qq~<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font><a href="$rec{$field}" target="_blank">$field</a>:</font></td><td width=80%><input type=text name="$name" value="$rec{$field}" size="$db_form_len{$field}" maxlength="$db_lengths{$field}"></td></tr>\n~;
}
else {
$output .= qq~<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font>$field:</font></td><td width=80%><input type=text name="$name" value="$rec{$field}" size="$db_form_len{$field}" maxlength="$db_lengths{$field}"></td></tr>\n~; }
}
## end added LT**********

}
$output .= "</table></p>\n";
return $output;
}

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] reciprocal link mod! In reply to
Hey,

Thanks, I finally got it. Like you mentioned the code you put in makes URL a hyperlink. I changed that to:

else {
if ($field eq "recip" && $rec{$field} ne "" && $rec{$field} ne "http://") {
$output .= qq~<tr><td align=right valign=top width=20%><$font><a href="$rec{$field}" target="_blank">$field</a>:</font></td><td width=80%><input type=text name="$name" value="$rec{$field}" size="$db_form_len{$field}" maxlength="$db_lengths{$field}"></td></tr>\n~;
}

Replaced the URL with recip which gave me a hyperlink of "recip" in the admin validate. In my Links program the Validate is hyperlinked to the main URL they put in the form anyhow.

Thanks for your help,

Doug
Quote Reply
Can somebody show me where it is working ?

Nakul Goyal
SEO and Link Building Expert
www.nakulgoyal.com
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] reciprocal link mod! In reply to
Can some body tell where is the text file of this script reciprocal mod
Megrisoft
Web Hosting Company
India Software Company
SEO Company

Quote Reply
This is the same problem everyone is having, not just in this thread but other threads on the same topic. Everyone who gets this to 'work' only see...

Reciprical Link Report
Day, Month Date Year - Time
[Delete][Reset]

but no valid links, no bad links.. nothing.

It's been months and there has been no posting of a fix for this so I think we can assume this fix is incomplete and if it's not gonna be fixed it the thread should be deleted. I know I wasted a few hours reading and trying to get it to work, but no one seems to actually get beyond this spot or there would be a 'fix' listed for this problem.

My advise to others.. do not attempt this until someone posts a working fix for the 'blank' report content.

In Reply To:
I don't get anything but a Reciprical Link Report

Tuesday, December 2 2003 - 23:25:50

I don't see how this thing works. I added a site with a URL for the link page that DID NOT have a link to my site on it and it validated and still no report was made. How in the hect do you use this reciprical link check anyhow? I don't get it.