Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one?

Quote Reply
Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one?
How could I make my links2.0 use a Microsoft Access Database instead of the rinkidink text one.

[cool]
Quote Reply
Re: [Ibis Fernandez] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
I wouldn't bother. Use Links SQL. For the amount someone would charge to convert it for you, you may as well purchase the SQL version - if you have access to an appropriate SQL database of course..
Quote Reply
Re: [Ibis Fernandez] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
M$ Access is just as a bad as a flat file system...it only allows up to six concurrent users to access the database (read, write, etc.) at one time.

Take Paul's advice and purchase the Links SQL application...if you have access to M$ SQL Server, then you can use Links SQL.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
i dont have sql, i guess ill just stick to flat filefor now.
Quote Reply
If you are set on using M$ Access (although I would not recommend it...too many problems...mainly the number of concurrent users, which if you have more than six users accessing the database, then you will have to contend with the "admin lock" error, which is highly annoying...trust me, it SUCKS...at my current job, we were slugging along with M$ Access, until two months ago, when we upgraded all our Cold Fusion scripts to access M$ SQL Server databases, and the site is much faster and also there are less errors), use ASP or Cold Fusion.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
Thanks for the imput. I will take your word for it. Im currently experimenting with mySQL and windows but havent had much luck. Im sure much of it is in part by my inexperince at running my own server but i believe what you are saying is trueWink. I will definately take you suggestions into consideration.
Quote Reply
Se puede comprar links. Pero en mi caso he pensado en hacer un mod para que trabaje con posgresql, que es la base de datos que me ofrece mi isp.
Cuando llegue al limite de los 20.000 enlaces en mi directorio pensaré en hacerlo.

Quote Reply
Re: [yecarrillo] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
Or for those who prefer English =>

>>
Links can be bought. But I have thought about doing a mod so that it works with posgresql, that is the data base that my host offers.
When it arrives (with limits of 20,000 records) I will connect in my
directory and think about doing it.
<<

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 4, 2001, 3:57 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [yecarrillo] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
Intente por favor hablar en inglés siempre que usted pueda.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 4, 2001, 4:07 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
Yo habla no espanol. I knew I should of paid attention in Spanish/espanol class. Wink Im looking at converting links 2.0 to use mySQL but it looks very complicated. I have some experts that will be willing to help me so it might be possible. Hope that's legal, Im going to ask Alex before I do this anyway and it propably will not be distributed.
Good Luck,
Paul
Webmaster Discussions
Quote Reply
Re: [hacker] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
If it isn't distributed it probably won't be a problem but you are right to contact Alex.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
It was way back in october of last year tht I posted the original post and it just now hit me, what does the number of concurrent visitors have to do with anything. Wheteher the database is access or not the pages themselves are static so unless you require 6 administrators messing with the database itself at the same time then I dont see it as a problem.
Quote Reply
Huge problem, because the database will lock after six users try to access it, and that means SELECTing, INSERTing, UPDATing and DELETing data...so, as a public internet client/server application, it ain't...

If you do use Access, it will work fine for small traffic web sites (like 10 - 500 unique users per day), but anything larger than that...have fun deleting the lck file all the time and possibly re-starting the server due to over-use of server resources...
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Using an Access Database instead of the plain text one? In reply to
Wow that's one hell of a good point, thanks for clarifying that for me. :)

Last edited by:

Ibis Fernandez: Jan 11, 2002, 4:27 PM
Quote Reply
Glad you finally got it!!!

If you are on a Windows server and you want to use a truly client/server application, use MS SQL Server.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me