Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

html and .htpassword for cgi

Quote Reply
html and .htpassword for cgi
my isp hoster new says i cant have a .htpassword on the cgi-bin cause the templates
are in the cgi-bin directory so is it possible to change the control panel admin.cgi to another directory or
isit posssible to change the templates to another directory?
Anyone have a suggestion on what decision i have to take?
Thanx
Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [terrax] html and .htpassword for cgi In reply to
Why are they saying you cant have it protected with .htaccess/.htpasswd ???? Because of the templates? Ask them to explain their reason for this, as I cant see one!

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [youradds] html and .htpassword for cgi In reply to
This is what my friendly ISP Hoster says they are very good but i also dont understand
why i cant have .htpassword with the html in the cgi bin for my new domain instead of older yes i can and i have also
links 2.0 runing there...

ISP Hoster reply:
"First, cgi-bin is very secure, if you use it.. no html can be used in here.
as the web server will not load it to end user
However, this is not a problem you have to deal with, simply use another
directory instead of cgi-bin
create a cgibin for example... it will run cgi's as well, but not have the
protection cgi-bin has"

What do u suggest? trying to put a .htaccess myself there or it must be done by the isp itself?
This really sucks i am not sure how to change all templates to another directory out of the cgi-bin then script may not work..

Thanx for your reply btw Ace

Quote Reply
Re: [terrax] html and .htpassword for cgi In reply to
Just protect it. I think they are just saying that generally .html files (or anything that isnt a CGI script) cant be run in the cgi-bin. This is the case with a lot of servers. Just protect it, as Links 2 uses them only as templates that are readable by the script, not for direct viewing by the visitor Wink

Hope that helps

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!