Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

hits in one database not multiple files

Quote Reply
hits in one database not multiple files
This is just an ideea. I am a newbie in Perl so i don`t want to make a mess. If someone has allready done this modification , please post it here so i can use it too.

Its quite cool to have hits in one database and not multiple files, huh?

Btw : if you know from where can i get a mod that is used as "my favourite links" please tell me.

Thanks

Last edited by:

atom-fratzia: Jan 24, 2002, 3:47 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [atom-fratzia] hits in one database not multiple files In reply to
Perhaps it's just me, but I am not quite sure what you mean.

As for the second modification you are looking for: Philip/Drew/Junko/King Junko II has written a Portal links modification. His site will soon be up again.

Last edited by:

Tho:mas: Jan 24, 2002, 4:55 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] hits in one database not multiple files In reply to
Quote:
Philip/Drew/Junko/King Junko II has written a Portal links modification. His site will soon be up again.
You forgot ThatPerson1024 Crazy

Yeah, Paul said the server should be ready today or tomorrow, so I reckon the site will be up by the end of the week.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [King Junko II] hits in one database not multiple files In reply to
Oh, and the hits/ratings are done in seperate files like that to keep speed optimal. Imagine having a database of 6000 links and having to traverse through the entire database thousands of times a day just to increase a single number. With the files broken up, you only have to deal with tiny files. The load from performing searches is already pretty bad, so combining the files would only cause more slowdowna.

I think I may have repeated myself a couple times there but I hope you get the point.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [King Junko II] hits in one database not multiple files In reply to
Thanks for your reply i now realise that you are right with that big database thing ...i am searching this forum everyday for everything that comes trought my mind...but i haven`t found any new modifications that i haven`t used on my site. If you know something new and you have time please post here...