Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Making max input longer on meta description and keywords - how to?

Quote Reply
Making max input longer on meta description and keywords - how to?
Hi!
I am working on modifying a lot of my categories so that the description is more accurate and focused.

I *was* using Links 1.1 and have upgraded to Links2 with no problems (after I remembered to change over my categoryid.txt and linksid.txt too! Ack)... the max input for Links1.1 was obviously set to a higher value than for Links2, because when I try to modify an old category listing, it always tells me that my meta keyword input is too long, max 75 characters; and sometimes the meta description is too long, max 255 characters.

I know there must be someplace to change this, but I'll be a tribble if I can find it.
Anyone know where it is?

Thanks in advance,
Raven
Quote Reply
Re: Making max input longer on meta description and keywords - how to? In reply to
This is one of the first things I changed because I wanted to use more keywords. Changing it is easy: just open up category.def and the first thing listed is the category definition fields. The fourth field is the number of characters allowed for that field. Here's a copy of mine (with description set to 200 and keywords to 500):

Code:
# Definition of your database file.
%db_def = (
ID => [0, 'numer', 5, 8, 1, '', ''],
Name => [1, 'alpha', 40, 75, 1, '', '^[\w\d/_-]+$'],
Description => [2, 'alpha', '40x3', 300, 0, '', ''],
Related => [3, 'alpha', 0, 255, 0, '', ''],
'Meta Description' => [4, 'alpha', 40, 200, 0, '', ''],
'Meta Keywords' => [5, 'alpha', 40, 500, 0, '', ''],
Header => [6, 'alpha', 40, 75, 0, '', ''],
Footer => [7, 'alpha', 40, 75, 0, '', '']
);

A word of advice: most of the major search engines will truncate meta descriptions over 200 characters; setting a limit of 200 will help ensure your description is fully indexed.
Quote Reply
Re: Making max input longer on meta description and keywords - how to? In reply to
Cool Brad!
Thankee muchly! Smile Smile

Raven