Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Links -- Altavista style?

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Links -- Altavista style? In reply to
Wow! Quite the responses. =) First off, I don't envision this as part of Links, but rather a separate program. The value in Links is in creating a specializeddirectory using your own expert knowledge, something Yahoo or the larger directories can not duplicate. For example, if you are looking for information on Windows CE, which would you like to search through CEGlobe.com or Yahoo?
=====
Alex,

Excellent Point. The best thing about Links is that small sites like us create our own niche directory. Although more garbage often times gets more hits on the net, the best content eventually wins. So, the Altavista idea if good, but let Links be on its own. However, the ability to integrate both features for people who want them, would be fantastic - Like Paul mentioned in the above post.

===
Perhaps a combination of both ? Links are submitted by users and directly accessible by web surfers (ALTAVISTA), and then the admin may categorize some links (Yahoo).
Quote Reply
Hi Alex!
It's a great idea... but please, If you are thinking about it, why don't you start creating a sql search engine written in C and use a msql or mysql (not a flat file)?
I guess the performance gets increased...
huges,

Ulysses Moraes
Quote Reply
I have Never FOUND Any scripts like Alex has DONE for FREEEEE!! Never EVER!... I must say "Thanks Millions to Alex, A Bright Script Writer For FREE of Charge!"

==============================

I JUST LOVE YAHOOSUCK.COM STYLE!!! :0)
YEEEEEEEEEE HA EVERYONE!!!

==============================

I HAVE FINISED EDITING V 1.1 LINK AND IT LOOKS LIKE YAHOOSUCK.COM

ONE THINK I CAN'T DO IS THAT I CAN'T ADD MORE SUB AFTER MAIN CATEGORY! :0(...
LIKE you created categories on the main page like

Auto

Education

Business and Economy

and then click on it. you ll just see linkes or URLs of the sites. I can't Add any Sub After the main Categories... :0( feel bad!

=======================================

tried to edit the templates LINKS V2.0 and It seem to hard to do so...

I switched back and edited the SITE_HTML.pl V1.1 and it looks like yahoo!

After I add links and Categories.. (1 link) only..

I doont see it looks like the way I want it to be.. So I edited the Site_HTML.pl again and uploaded to the server.. The WHOLE Contents are Changed!!!!!! :0)... I tried to add links , it worked and validated them.. it worked TOO! WOW!... but I went back to the INDEX.HTML or Main page..

NO LINKS other than the one I added before .....

Eveything worked fine, but LInks WONT add to the search engines

I M tired :0)

==========================
=========================
========================

ANYWAY, AGAIN! I MUST SAY THANKS MILLIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS FOR THE SCRIPT!

============================
FINALLY.. V 2.0 = THE FONT IS TOOOOOOO BIG... AND CAN'T ADD BANNER ON TOP NOR ANYWEHRE ELSE :0(

PEACE ALL!

====================================

IF YOU GUYS OUT THERE HAVE GREAT IDEAS, WHY NOT TRY TO PROGRAM IT???.

"NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE TO A WILLING MIND"
"THE WORD IMPPOSSIBLE IS NOT IN MY DICTIONARY "

HEHEEHE BYE

> >