Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
GOTO
Does any one know if a paid link mod exist for Links? I did a search on it and it seems others are looking for it but no one has it!

Quote Reply
Re: GOTO In reply to
PaulWilson posted 2 messages concerning the GOTO.com mod in the past 3 days, one of which he bragged/advertised that he has it and is trying to sell it or something like that.

--Drew
Quote Reply
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...w=collapsed&sb=5

In case you can't find it...

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks I found that message I also contacted him. I need to see a demo first $500 is a little bit costly.
I am waiting for his reply

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I need to see a demo first $500 is a little bit costly.
That's outrageous!! I would never spend $500 dollars on a modification for a product that can be used for free. For $500 you can upgrade to Links SQL... and I'm sure there are users that would be willing to help you come up with the codes for an equivalent mod for free.

--Drew
Quote Reply
To be honest I don't know too much about what the goto mod does, but I guess it just displays paid links top of the list in the categories and search.

Couldn't something similar be done by just doing something like the following:

Adding a new field to links.db called ranking. (edit links.def etc...)
Edit sub sorthit in db_utilis.pl to display links in order of the field 'ranking'
Then decide how you want to decide the rankings, ie. give all the links the don't pay the same low number eg. 999.
Next give links which pay a number eg. 1, 2, 3 etc.....

I think with a bit of playing around this would give a similar effect, it shouldn't be too hard to do and would be a better solution than spending $500!

If I have any spare time before uni, I'll look into it and post any solutions.

Although I guess the goto mod does more than this....

Good Luck!

Glenn

http://mir.spaceports.com/~glennu/
Quote Reply
I believe that the GOTO Mod provides some level of transaction and verification before posting the link live in the database.

BUT...$500 is highway robbery IMHO!

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I think you are all silly :) $500 is peanuts compared to the profits you could generate from it. I think anyone who has a popular links database could certainly benefit from such a mod. Of course, we all can't make a gazillion dollars like goto.com does, but the $500 could be made back very quickly.

I think maybe some of you with popular links databases should do some math. Click you're "What's popular" link and start adding some pennies for every hit. I bet you'll be suprised at the numbers. Especially when people start to outbid eachother. I mean, a link with 500 hits at only 3 cents is $15.

I am considering this mod and I have almost no traffic with my new links directory. Of course I would like to see more than what can be seen at www.cigarsites.com. But none-the-less, a good Goto mod is worth every penny.

Quote Reply
I was not bragging/advertising because the MOD is not even mine!

I was simply making sure that everyone had the chance to obtain it if they wanted it!

Bye
Loopee
Quote Reply
You totally missed my point. For $500 dollars, you'd be better off upgrading to Links SQL and asking for assistance writting a similar mod then spending $500 to modify a script only worth $150.

What would you do if you paid for this mod, your database becomes popular, and you want to move to SQL. Guess what? You've just wasted $500 because you'd have to completely rewrite the GOTO mod. You know what? You would have saved $50 by simply upgrading and asking for help.

I don't know about you, but the first $500 out of my next paycheck upgrades me to Links SQL, a decent server, and buys my domain name.

--Drew
Quote Reply
Hi Glennu,
I saw the post about you trying to come up with a mod similar to GOTO.com, however I have a proposition for you!

If you could come up with a MOD that enables users to add a link to the directory as normal, but also a pay per rank link (like cigarsites.com) - then have an admin area to keep track of the link ownersdeposits, and take of his bid amount every time the link is clicked etc - I would be willing to pay you for your time!

Could you let me know what you think!

Bye
Loopee
Quote Reply
It's certainly an interesting offer and I'd be up for looking at ways of finding a solution. Unfortunately though, I've been looking at things I need to get done and have found I don't have the time at the moment.

Good Luck!

Glenn

http://mir.spaceports.com/~glennu/
Quote Reply
Oh yes, I agree, that an SQL version of the Goto mod would be even better. I'd pay much higher for a SQL Goto mod.

Quote Reply
Thats no problem!

I am prepared to wait!

Bye
Loopee
Quote Reply
I started playing around with this idea of a quick fix.

I added a field to my database called sponsors, number 3 digits, with the default value of 999.

I was going to add the code to the sorthit routine of db_utils.pl but I got confused. Was a little scared I would really goof things up.

I want to add a sort at the very begining of the sorts, that will not include anything in this first sort with the value of sponsor as 999, the sort should list any records with values besides 999, in order of 1 - 998.

Anybody got any ideas how to accomplish this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once a sort is completed, should have a reasonable GOTO solution.