Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Virus
Hi

I have asked this question once already and the answer was that the program does not have a built in anti virus program built into it. So to protect my server and program from virus what anti virus program would you recommand, if it could scan the message that the members send and recieve that would be an added bonus, but I am many concerned about my server and my programs on it.

Quote Reply
Re: Virus In reply to
Hi,

Your server won't be able to get a virus from an incoming email, and your program won't be able to get infected either.

Virusscan's will only help your users.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Virus In reply to
Actually, my system was just extremely infected by a virus that came through a gossamer-mail account. The virus was found in an attachment to an email and infected the entire system. I believe that the virus was attached to an email. Once it was opened in gossamer mail it infected the system. How is this possible and how can I prevent this in the future.

Alex: is there anyway I can force people to download any attachments they receive in emails? I dont want them to open them up in the email. Just download to their computer and then open.

thanks

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: [jmurray] Virus In reply to
Hi,

Do you have any more details about this? When you say "entire system", do you mean your webserver? I don't see how that could happen as no attachments/mail are ever executed on your server.

Please drop me an email with more details about this so I can see what's going on.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
What happens if someone is checking their mail through Internet Explorer on the NT/Win2k server hosting GMail? (Of course it's not the smartest thing to do but I'm sure it's been done and any infections would have nothing to do with Gmail.)
Quote Reply
Re: [DrewBlack] Virus In reply to
Hi,

The worst that can happen is the clients computer becomes infected. Gossamer Mail does not execute or run any incoming email, so there is no way to infect the server. (Although a virus scan program may detect a virus in one of the email as it is stored on disk).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Post deleted by DrewBlack In reply to
Quote Reply
That's actually my point. It's entirely possible for an admin to use the server hosting Gmail as the client machine, especially in a Windows environment. It's not a smart thing to do but if someone mistakenly thought that using GMail somehow provided magical immunity from viruses they might be inclined to check their email through IE sitting at the server's keyboard. Of course any infections earned this way have nothing to do with Gossamer Mail.

Last edited by:

DrewBlack: Apr 7, 2002, 10:23 AM