Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

Windows 2000

Quote Reply
Windows 2000
I`m a Windows 2000 server kind of guy who was wondering what i would need to run gossamer mail on a 2000 server???

Would I need any 3rd party mail program? (Like exchange 2000) and for the database would I need SQL server 2000 or could i get away with using the free MySQL for 2000?

Quote Reply
Re: Windows 2000 In reply to
1) MySQL (best option, although it may work with SQL Server)
2) Perl 5.0053 or higher
3) SMTP Services or Exchange Server
4) A lot of Memory/RAM, as Perl scripts EAT up memory in Windows servers...

There are, of course, some ASP and CF solutions out there...utilizing built-in modules like CFPOP...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
The reason with going with gossamer is the new multi domain function. I currently offer my visitors several free e-mail addresses with everyone.net.. Which until recently was a perfect solution--But now they put a million pop-up windows on my visitors screen when they check their mail, time to do my own server :)

I would really prefer a ASP solution, becuase i know ASP.. But with these useful forms availible, I dont see any problems.

How much ram do you think i need? I currently have 384 Megs on a Dual 400 server.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
General Advice: The more, the better...1.0 GIG would be better...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi,

It depends on the volume of users, for medium size sites that machine will be fine. MySQL for windows will work fine.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.