Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

Everyone.net

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Everyone.net
Hi,

I am currently using everyone.net for my e-mail accounts, Is there anyway that I can transfer all my users and their e-mails to GM? Is there going to be a Plugin for that?

I know that this seems kind of impossible because Everyone.net doesn't give out their userdatabase however we can e-mail all the users and tell them that we are going to change our e-mail system in the next xxx days and then provide a link in that e-mail to the GM system and when the user clicks on that, GM user registration form grabs their username and asks them to enter the rest of the info (password + firstname + lastname + ...) and then as soon as they completed this registration form we transfer all of their e-mails to GM and they can use GM.

Is it possible to do something like this?

Thanks in advance,
PCMANIA

Quote Reply
Re: Everyone.net In reply to
Hi,

We would love to do something like this. However everyone.net doesn't give you access to passwords, or users mail. So we could not import existing mail, or import existing usernames/password. You are really held hostage. =)

What you describe could be done, but we can't access their mail so we couldn't import it (to my knowledge, if you think we can, then I'd love to hear more).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Everyone.net In reply to
Hi Alex!

We use Everyone.net for email and here is a quote from the USer Mangement side of things - but the account has to be a premier user to get this information:

In Reply To:
The summary report will be sent to xxx@xxx.zzz.yyy, the email address in your Control Center profile, within 24 hours. The summary report contains:

List of all end-users, including login ID, first name, last name, sign up date, and total number of logins.
List of opt-in users. (You can contact only these users via email.) Aggregate information for gender, age, occupation, industry, income, and country
This used to be free to get and now it is a pay thing but one could use it to enter client info one by one if they had a small amount and depending what format they gave to the end user you perhaps could import it.

http://www.nzcid.org.nz
Quote Reply
OR if the data is sent in a pipe delimited or tab delimited format, you could simply IMPORT the file into MySQL.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi,

You don't get passwords though, so you would have to give everyone a random password and then provide a way for them to look it up securely.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
The question is: HOW DO YOU DO THAT? How do you provide them with a secure way of looking at their passwords? Any Ideas?

Quote Reply
Hi,

Well, all you know is the login id, first name and last name. You could ask them to enter that information exactly to get their password. Not sure how safe that is though.

Alternatively you could have people email you asking for their password (assuming they have an email account).

Another possibility is you could email everyone with their password a week before you switch.

Let me know what you think,

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

I like this one the best "email everyone with their password a week before you switch".

The problem with this system is that those people that don't check their account often might not be able to see the e-mail before we switch, so what we can do is that after we switched we can ask them to enter their login id + first name + last name exactly in order to retrieve their password.

Cheers,
PCMANIA

Quote Reply
Hi,

Thinking some more on this, we could probably build something that would check everyone.net to see if it's a valid username/password.

For instance, you would:

1. Email your users telling them you are switching and that they should save any email they need as it won't be preserved.

2. Switch your MX records back so you get your mail, not everyone.net.

3. Install Gossamer Mail.

We'll add an Auth_Everyone plugin that you use for the first two weeks. If the username/password entered is not a valid Gossamer Mail user, it will send a request to everyone.net to check the password. If it's valid, it will auto create the account.

You leave that in till most of your users have moved over, and then remove the plugin and shut down your everyone.net account.

Let me know what you think,

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

You Wrote:
"We'll add an Auth_Everyone plugin that you use for the first two weeks. If the username/password entered is not a valid Gossamer Mail user, it will send a request to everyone.net to check the password. If it's valid, it will auto create the account"

How would you wanna do this? This is great! This is all we need! This is going to solve all the problems!

Is it possible to do this using VB's userdatabase? I am planning to use VB's userdatabase for this, this way then my users register for VB or GM they can have access to both programs. Is this possible?

Thanks,
PCMANIA

Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Please let me know as soon as you released this plugin so I can purchase GM. Without this I am not going to be able to buy GM.

Thanks in advance,
PCMANIA

Quote Reply
Hi,

I think we can make this work. It would be done as follows:

1. Import all your existing email addresses into Gossamer Mail with random passwords and transfer your MX back to your own site so Gossamer Mail gets the email.
2. Install the Auth_Everyone plugin.
3. Users go to a page saying if they had an existing account they can enter the username/password. Then the Auth_Everyone plugin would check to see if it's a valid account, and if so, it would activate the account. Otherwise the user signs up normally.
4. After two weeks or so, shut off that page, and shut off everyone.net service, and remove the Auth_Everyone plugin.

Then, we do the vBulletin integration which is just a matter of:

1. Install Auth_VBulletin plugin.
2. Create a page that says something like:

You must be logged into the forum to use this, if you don't yet have an account, please create one now.
If you have an existing webmail account, enter the username/password here. Otherwise, click here to create one.

3. That's it!

We can create the Auth_Everyone plugin free of charge, but you would have to be the guinea pig. =) Basically we would need access to your system, and to your everyone.net account to do this.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

I am willing to be the guinea pig :) Let me know what you need!

Thanks,
PCMANIA

Quote Reply
Sure, just place an order online to get things going. Realistically, we won't be able to start on it till Monday, but it shouldn't take long to do, should be very quick.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

I just placed my order. Please e-mail me if you require any information.

Thanks,
PCMANIA

Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Everyone.net In reply to
Alex, was this plugin for Everyone.net ever developed? If so, how did it work. I am in the same situation now. I currently have 26,000 users with Everyone.net and I am going to use Gossamer-Mail in the next month or so and move them to my own server. I am thinking of a paid only service (14.99/year) instead of a free service. I know I will lose a large majority but if I can keep 2k-3k I'll be happy.

I would be interested in this plugin if you ever tried it. Will also need to have some custom work done to plugin PayPal as the method of payment.

Thanks,

Jeff White
Quote Reply
Re: [netcross] Everyone.net In reply to
Hi,

Yes it was developed, however we never polished it up and made it into a plugin, it was a oneshot development for a site. Unfortunately you don't get access to the users passwords, so basically it would import the usernames and assign them random passwords. Then when you login, it would double check your password at everyone.net and if it was valid, update your Gossamer Mail password.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

1- How about Bigmailbox.com, is it possible to do the same way ? i have 48,000 user registered and i can get all the user ID without password from Bigmailbox.com.

2- Is is possible to switch the user registration database with Ikonboard forum (http://www.ikonboard.com) & Links SQL ?

Please help.

Last edited by:

reenee: Feb 23, 2002, 5:41 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [reenee] Everyone.net In reply to
Hi,

Possible, but would require some custom work to get this to work for you. Send a message to info@gossamer-threads.com for more details.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

Is there a way you can help me with the Everyone.net stuff too?

These people have taken our users hostage, and I need a way to fully control my users. That's why I am interested in getting your Gossamer software. If you still have the plugin you used for that other guy, can this be used to help me if I order Gossamer?

A few other questions:

- I will also need plugins that would allow me to hook to databases that I have, so that all the users can be integrated. That way, when someone registers in any of the programs running on my site, they would be registered for all.

The programs I am talking about are:

-Hyperseek
- phpBB
- etc.

Are such plugins possible?

Thanks for a quick answer. I am really in a hurry with this.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [Mama] Everyone.net In reply to
Hi,

Unfortunately everyone.net does not give you access to any of your users information. The best we can do is "reserve" the usernames, so that when a user logs in, it checks the password at everyone.net and if it's valid, lets the user take the name.

As for integration with other databases, we don't have anything prebuilt for Hyperseek or phpBB, but could custom build one for you. Send an email to info@gossamer-threads.com for a quote.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

Unfortunately everyone.net does not give you access to any of your users information. The best we can do is "reserve" the usernames, so that when a user logs in, it checks the password at everyone.net and if it's valid, lets the user take the name.

THat's already something. I read based on your previous posts that it is possible for users to be validated in the new system based on their usernames. This would be good for me as all I want is for the users not to experience too much trouble.
If your plugin can allow my valid users to be able to see their accounts transfered seamlessly, this would be great.

Now, tell me, how am I going to be able to do this?

Suppose the following:

At everyone.net, users access my email service through "http://freemail.mydomain.com".

However, they receive email at "mydomain.com".

If I install Gossamer Mail on my domain, how am I going to be able to switch the customers while allowing your plugin to still check password validity at Everyone.net?

In other words, I assume here that by switching the full service to my domain, the MX domain will no longer be pointing to Everyone.net. How then am I going to allow the Plugin to check the passwords at veryone.net while allowing my users to seamlessly switch by validating their passwords?

Please help me clarify this here, so I can ensure the best transition possible.

In Reply To:
As for integration with other databases, we don't have anything prebuilt for Hyperseek or phpBB, but could custom build one for you. Send an email to info@gossamer-threads.com for a quote.

Cheers,

Alex

OK. I will do this once we figure out the best way to transfer my service.

I will be awaiting your response on the above.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just so we are clear, the only thing you can transfer from everyone.net is their username and password. All mail, addressbook, etc, can not be transferred (as everyone.net does not let you have access to this).

How it would work is:

1. Install Gossamer Mail on your domain freemail.yourdomain.com.
2. Test and customize Gossamer Mail to suit your needs.
3. Import your existing usernames into Gossamer Mail (everyone.net gives you a list of all your users you have currently, but not their passwords).
4. Switch the MX records from everyone.net to your own server. At this point, the service is live, and you would point everyone to login to Gossamer Mail now, and not everyone.net.
5. When a user logs in to Gossamer Mail, it will check if the password they entered is valid. If not, it will check if it is valid on everyone.net. If it is valid on everyone.net, it will update the password in Gossamer Mail, and allow them access.

Does this make sense? It's not the best solution, as all it provides is that a user can keep their username@domain.com email address.

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Yes, Alex. It is very clear, and that reassures me.

OK, I am on my way to order your program.

I do have one last question:

What would happen if I do the following:

currently, to access their emails, the customers log into "freemail.mydomain.com", but they recieve and send their email via "mydomain.com".

Now, suppose I install Gossamer on a different subdomain, say "mail.mydomain.com" in order to allow the customers the time for saving any important mail they may have at Evreyone.net, would your plugin still be able to get their passwords from Everyone.net and validate their accounts at my Gossamer installation?

Clearly, even if the "freemail.mydomain.com" would still allow them to login at Everyone.net, the MX would now point to the Gossamer, so that they can send and recieve mail only at "@mydomain.com", and for this they need to be logged in at my Gossamer. This would allow me to put a warning note on the entry page at "freemail.mydomain.com" at Everyone.net telling them to save their mails and about the migration.

This would be good because Everyone.net allows us to write only to those people who chose to be written to. This means that not everybody would receive the warning by email.

But this strategy would be possible only if your plugin is able to to get the passwords from "freemail.mydomain.com" at Everyone.net, even if Gossamer is installed on "mail.mydomain.com". Later, I may switch back to "freemail.mydomain.com" when most of the people have switched, or simply use a redirect.

Can you confirm that this would work?

If not, then I will have to do exactly as you said.

I will wait on your answer before ordering, so that I can be sure which way to install Gosssamer. But it is certain that I will order, as I hate the way Everyone.net has taken our users hostage.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Most of what you want to do is possible, except for one very important point, there is no way for us to get the passwords for the users on everyone.net, only their usernames.

In previous installations, what we've done is to import all of the users that have signed up for an account when you were with everyone.net and set the passwords to be the same as their usernames. That way, active users can log into their accounts on Gossamer Mail and change their passwords immediately.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806
> >