Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

sendmail - pop3 server

Quote Reply
sendmail - pop3 server
Can sendmail act as a pop3 server?

Just been told this by a salesman.

If it can what are the benefits of the Gossamer pop3 server in comparison.

Does the Gossamer Threads pop3 server have a graphical front end to add other users for other domains or is it just for gossamer mail.

Thanks in advance

Dregs2

Quote Reply
Re: [dregs2] sendmail - pop3 server In reply to
Hi,

Yes, almost all systems come with a pop server. The situation where you would want to use our POP server is if:

1. You are using Gossamer Mail to give out email accounts (i.e. you are not using it to provide a web front end to existing email accounts).
2. You want your users to access mail inside of a Gossamer Mail account from Eudora, Outlook or other mail client.

If that describes your situation, then Gossamer Mail POP server is for you. There is no graphical front end to it, as the users database is controlled by Gossamer Mail.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] sendmail - pop3 server In reply to
Hi Alex

Thanks for your reply

So if i'm going to use it normally through a web interface, I can use sendmail's built in pop3.

Is your pop3 server optimized to run Gossamer Mail.

dregs2
Quote Reply
Re: [dregs2] sendmail - pop3 server In reply to
Hi,

Gossamer Mail can run in two ways:

1. All incoming mail is delivered to a catch all account. Gossamer Mail then collects the mail and distributes it to existing Gossamer Mail users. This is the easy setup, as you do not need a separate POP account per Gossamer Mail user.

or

2. Each Gossamer Mail user has an existing POP account. Gossamer Mail does not auto create/delete the POP accounts though, you must do this. This mode is useful if you already have existing POP accounts (say for example a university), and just want to provide the ability to access your email from the web.

Our POP Server plugin is only useful if you are using #1. If you are running Gossamer Mail like this, then you could not use Sendmail's pop server, you would only be able to use our pop server plugin. It all depends on how you are running Gossamer Mail.

Does this make sense? If not, post a little bit about what type of email service you are looking at offering and I can expand further.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.