Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

two mail programs?

Quote Reply
two mail programs?
Greetings,

Any problems with running two mail programs on the same server? Things i need to watch out for?

Thanks,

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: [bob c3] two mail programs? In reply to
Hi,

Are you talking about running two Gossamer Mails?

If so, then yes, because the default setting in Gossamer Mail uses the catchall account method, you don't want to have both Gossamer Mail applications checking the same catchall. You need to make sure that each one is supporting different domains and not crossing each other up. However, if you're using a different method like perhaps authenticating users off existing POP3 accounts, then you can conceivably run two Gossamer Mail applications side by side.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] two mail programs? In reply to
Thanks for the reply Jack,

Sorry I was not more specific. I am setting up a dedicated server that will be shared with a handful of other sites. I wish to offer the benefits of gossamer mail to just a couple of those sites and run the rest of them with something like neomail, squirrelmail, etc. I am wondering if running two different programs would be problematic on one server and what things I need to be aware of.

Thanks again Jack,

Bob
Quote Reply
Hi Bob,

I don't think that there will be much of a problem, although I must admit that we have not tried that here in house so we cannot be 100% sure. But if you're running the applications on different domains, I don't really see where there could be problems.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806
Quote Reply
Hi Bob,

Just to confirm what Jack said, there won't be a problem running Gossamer Mail with other mail systems. As long as you can setup a catchall account, you'll have everything you need.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] two mail programs? In reply to
thanks fellas

bob
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] two mail programs? In reply to
Hi Jack

Quote:
Are you talking about running two Gossamer Mails?

I am sorry for posting this in this section. But i am slightly confused. Licensing policy allows single installation (one license) and 'N' Domains depending on the version. I know that on a single server, a user would prefer to upgrade from standard one to higher instead of probably taking a second license copy.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] two mail programs? In reply to
Hi Anup,

Indeed, most of the time, upgrading the version would be the most efficient way to go about things, but when you're using different authentication methods for each application, authPOP3 versus default free signup and catchall method, you'd need two installations of Gossamer Mail.

Or if you're running a group of automotive related sites and a group of cricket related sites, you might not want the pull-down menu to display them all together but would rather keep them separate.

There are some instances where you'd want separate installations, but you're right, not many, which is why I asked the question.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806