Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

Honest opinion from a new customer

Quote Reply
Honest opinion from a new customer
Just thought I'd drop a line in here to give potential customers an independant and non biased opinion of GMail.

Firstly, I too was very thorough in my investigations of what web based email programs were currently available, visiting forums, asking questions, checking, and in general doing everything I could to ensure I made the right decision.

There is always a risk factor and nothing can really totally eliminate this but let me say, in all honesty, I am extremely impressed with the final product. It is powerful, damn quick and a joy to play and customise the HTML templates - but be careful here.

It also pays to read the requirements section and even copy and paste these requirements in an email off to your hosting company asking them to confirm they can meet requirements. Trust me, this will be worth your while.

Further, I was genuinly surprised with the level of support and advice Jack@GT gave me. Nothing too troublesome but it seemed that no matter what time of day I emailed him he replied promptly - which suggested his bed must be next to his computer!! You don't see this level of support anywhere anymore, well, at least I haven't.

So impressed am I with the final outcome and the dealings I have had with Gossamer Threads, I've decided to post this honest and unprovoked comment here for all to see.

Best of luck everyone

Peter
Quote Reply
Re: [HappyPappy] Honest opinion from a new customer In reply to
Hi,

I am sorry but without the details of your site made available this message would apparently seem to be from one of the promoting agencies working for GT (xcuse me if i am wrong but how would a normal visitor take this "Honest Comment" and there is no way of verifying the crdentials.

post your URL of the service being used by u....

Thnx

BlMo
Quote Reply
Re: [BlueMoods] Honest opinion from a new customer In reply to
Why are people so cynical Unsure.

>>
this message would apparently seem to be from one of the promoting agencies working for GT
<<

As if.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 1, 2002, 2:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Honest opinion from a new customer In reply to
Well they are a new user... They probably don't know the company very well, or the people on the forum, so you can't blame the guy.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Honest opinion from a new customer In reply to
Its just weird that because someone has something good to say about a product people assume he works for GT
Quote Reply
Its surprising to find Vetereans and Staff turn so Hysterical (a befitting reply to yr adjective of Cynical) when an "Honest Reply" is posted to "Honest Comment" . Now is this only meant to be place where all the goodies can be talked of for GM....or GT ....

Well if that was the case then I am sorry for being ignorant about the rules (Written and Unwritten) of this Forum. Would request that the Admin Ban me form logging in permanently or if Possible I would try to deactivate my account. I ll check on that coz brewt had made a comment of "New USer"

Veterans and Staff should always be looking for such things thats if the marketing strategies are based on Circular Growth concept, where Marketing Begins with Booking an order. Well I cannot blame any of you in case your marketing strategies are based on Linear Growth model where Marketing ends with Hooking A Client.

BlM
Quote Reply
I wouldn't quite say hysterical Smile

It was just an observation, I wasn't criticizing you personally.
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian,

I'll think twice before I post a reply to such Good Thoughts ab the product or the company. Normally I do not care what the others have to say coz I try to use the space between my two eyes more rigorously than using the eyes.

Never be so disdainful in attitude. I seem to be Knowing your company more coz of Jack n Alex who seem so polite and have a sophiticated indirect way of saying no to things in life..... which does not apparently hurt the sentiments (may be it hurts the pocket though Wink ).

Remeber my sermon y'day. Its still not off my mind the way you had treated a request from a "PROSPECTIVE" Client of yours.....

BTW is a framed Template on the cards....

Thnx

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by:

anup123: Apr 1, 2002, 1:06 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Honest opinion from a new customer In reply to
Adrian was actually defending you my friend, no offense meant and nothing derogatory about his intentions, there's no need to lecture anyone. I hope we can preserve some dignity in these forums.

And just so everyone knows, we at Gossamer Threads never pay for any endorsements of any kind, all testimonials and general kind words are submitted by grateful users, not paid spokespeople.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806
Quote Reply
Forgot to inform you that unfortunately, no, we have no plans to release framed templates for Gossamer Mail in the foreseeable future, the framed templates in Gossamer Mail version 1 were not very well received.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806
Quote Reply
Re: [HappyPappy] Honest opinion from a new customer In reply to
Hi,

Allow Me To Strongly Disagree With You.

I am impressed with what is Under the Hood and not the jazzed up presentation.

Did you Play with The Navigation Links to Next page etc in Sent Folder (In Threaded Mode) does not work?

Did you Play with The Navigation Links to Next page etc in Inbox (In Threaded Mode) does not work?

Did You Play with the idea of sending BCC message to GM domain?

Did you Play with the Expand All and Collapse All buttons in the Sent Folder in Threaded Mode?

I know these comments are going to irk everyone at GT why not, every organization is emotionally tied to the Product..... but then the acid test comes from persons who would even test the last thing on the feature List before giving out comment. And yes support comes when anyone is free to attend to the same....something about getting/setting priorities right!

I am sorry, but I am not so impressed with GM uptil now more so because of the silly stuff which has probably carried down since its inception. I have been spending more than 8 hrs a day testing and every day has been a shocking day for me...........

A not so happy GM user. Sorry Jack but I really mean it.

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi Anup,

I'm sorry to hear you are having such troubles. There are really two issues here: BCC delivery, and Message threading.

BCC delivery will work out of the box on some mail servers like qmail or mailgatepro. It will also work if you are using piped mode. However, if you are using catchall and sendmail, it does require some tweaking in order to get BCC deliveries to work. This is because when the message is stored in the catchall, there is no longer any information on who the message was delivered to (as the BCC header has been removed). The way around that is to get your mail server to add a Delivered-To or X-Envelope-To header to the message upon saving. We are looking into a solution using courier-mta for you now.

As for threaded mode, this is an issue that we are looking at changing based on user feedback. Basically, if all the messages for a thread are not in the same folder, the threaded list does not work properly. This happens because in threaded mode, when you view a folder, it shows you a list of root threads. However if you break up that thread, then it breaks threaded mode.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Honest opinion from a new customer In reply to
Quote:
We are looking into a solution using courier-mta for you now.
Thnx and a sigh of relief. Hope that this is permanent.

Quote:
As for threaded mode, this is an issue that we are looking at changing based on user feedback

Better late than never. I have understood the point but a user would not like to be educated on the same coz he/she may take it as an attempt by us as damage control excercise.

But Alex what about Navigation Links failure.... The page refuses to changeover. And believe me I have been testing even with the default template sets (so as to escape the allegation that this is becuase I have modified the Templates... (as it happened with overlib.js issue .. which later turned out that my template sets never had overlib.js incorporated...) which came with my install (2.1.0a) I am not sure what that "a" stands for. /webmail.cgi?........ and the page does not go to next page.... i am hinting at the links which come up at the bottom of the Page when number of messages>the one set in options>display.

I am really sorry for having expressed my displeasure but I am sure that you could understand the desparation and pain of doing repetitive testing with reproducibility before reporting the same as a BUG....or else it is taken as a statement from a stupid reporter.

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi,

It seems that the prog is giving you unforseen troubles. Now i get to understand as to why my posts were deleted from this forum quite sometime back when I had posted a comparision between GM and @Mail. And even today @mail is giving builtin POP support within a price which they are ready to match the lowest published price...

Hope that your problems are attended to soon.

BlM
Quote Reply
i've had gossamer mail since it's first release and am very happy with it - and GT as a business in terms of service etc. when i first purchased it, it was the only one I could find that had balls. although i did wait for over a year before i actually installed and used it - until all the bugs were ironed out and a few features added. here are a couple of things i've learned during that time...

1. report bugs here and ask for help "whenever" you need it - it gets things fixed faster than a continous drone of moaning.

2. don't upgrade a live site as soon as a new release comes out. Instead, install it on a test server and wait for the stupid ones who put it straight into a live site to start screaming with problems (they'll come quickly!) - then apply the fixes offered, then go live.

3. if the webmail breaks today, you'll still wake up tomorrow - and tomorrow you can fix it.

r.

ps. this message was not endorsed or paid for by GT - and I'm am not a staff member. in saying that... donations are welcome alex. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Honest opinion from a new customer In reply to
Quote:
report bugs here and ask for help "whenever" you need it - it gets things fixed faster than a continous drone of moaning.

What does one do when help on things like Navigation Failure goes unheard for more than 10 days?
What happens when one learns that GM needs some tweaking (no deadline defined) to work with COURIER MTA (BCC Failure)?
What happens when I have a download which is not the same as what has been installed on server?
What happens when the ONUS is on me to prove the DIFF wrt the templates on certain functional issues?
What happens when support ticket is silenced after that Auto Respond Message

The other day Paul PMed (when I had to take the conversation offline) to adopt the "Soft Touch" attitude which would Tickle the "Guilt Feeling". I am being educated on how to get things done ... Thanx for all the suggestions. I am leaving no stone unturned.
Quote:
wait for the stupid ones who put it straight into a live site to start screaming with problems (they'll come quickly!) - then apply the fixes offered, then go live.
Oh IC. Thank god I was not the one who installed the 2.1.0a version (because I couldn't have done so as I do not have that version). So it means My Server is being treated as Test Server for 2.1.0a version. Screaming always follows a polite request unattended to. Thats a natural human behaviour (for individuals with balls) and nothing can be more Stupid than drawing conclusions about stupidity of others who may not be stupid.

Quote:
if the webmail breaks today, you'll still wake up tomorrow - and tomorrow you can fix it
Tomorrow never comes. its like ever elusive mirage! Thats what i have experienced when I found that my install is still incubating even after three weeks.
Quote:
i've had gossamer mail since it's first release and am very happy with it - and GT as a business in terms of service etc. when i first purchased it, it was the only one I could find that had balls.
That depends whether the server setup is GMphyllic or GMPhobic. I had ofered access to server before I made a decision on payments and was told "...Nice Machine" The facts in finer print only come out after going thru the torturous ordeal post install (which incidently we did not do... I repeat that).
Quote:
this message was not endorsed or paid for by GT - and I'm am not a staff member.

I see that statement emnating quite often on this forum.

Very few have the cheek to accept the fact that it was a bad buisness decision and always carry that pretentious aura of satisfaction with what has been done. I would possibly wait for sometime (in order to arrange few more dollars) and switch to another WebMail system for which i am negotiating on the final price. A consequence being severly biten by GM Bug.

To err is human, but it takes lot of courage to accept it. In fact it takes balls to accept it. We dont have Chapter 11's here to take shelter of like so many... and more so we are not playing with Public's money because it has been our first priority in running business that we have to be a Zero Debt company.

I wouldn't be afraid to accept that it was a bad decision on my part if i switch to another webmail service.

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jul 29, 2002, 2:03 AM
Quote Reply
Alex and the staff generally don't like to get involved in threads like this unless they get out of hand but as ryel mentioned (and I mentioned via pm) just a continual slating of their product (which you have done in about you last 20-25 posts) will not aid your situation.

Reporting a bug is one thing, but reporting a bug with a few "extra" comments is not really necessary....yes you may be upset or angry but just dissuading people from using GMail certainly won't encourage GT to fall over themselves to help you, so basically you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

That's not to say they won't help though as they are a professional company and _do_ care about their reputation....I can definitely think of one other person who is extremely rude but Alex still bites his lip and is polite.

I'd even go as far as to say that Brewt has probably read and akcnowleged the bugs you have reported and may have even fixed them "behind the scenes"...I've often found this to be the case....you get no reply to your posts and assume no-one is listening to you and then a staff member will say they've fixed the bug for the next release.

>>
I see that statement emnating quite often on this forum.

Very few have the cheek to accept the fact that it was a bad buisness decision and always carry that pretentious aura of satisfaction with what has been done.
<<

That comment generally comes from people who have been around GT a while and know how they operate.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 29, 2002, 2:12 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
I wouldn't be afraid to accept that it was a bad decision on my part if i switch to another webmail service.

if you do want to sell your licence, let me know what you want for it - i might be interested.

cheers,
r.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Honest opinion from a new customer In reply to
Why do u ask that question?

Thats not the type of support that I was made to understand anywhere.

I would put it up in my museum instead....

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Quote:
continual slating of their product (which you have done in about you last 20-25 posts) will not aid your situation.
It was not meant to be interpretted that way. I was and am only interested in getting my install out to a working level. I have been patiently waiting but even I am answerable to someone here. Well if talking about unattended to bugs is interpretted as slating or somethin "extra" then I do understand that there should be only expression of happy experiences. I shall take the first opportunity to PUBLICLY Say SOrry for all the UNINTENTIONAL slating (i never intended to mean the way it has been unfortunately interpreted), the day my happiness outweighs the unhappiness with the install.
Quote:
I'd even go as far as to say that Brewt has probably read and akcnowleged the bugs you have reported and may have even fixed them "behind the scenes"...
I am sorry but i am still living with those bugs.
Quote:
That comment generally comes from people who have been around GT a while and know how they operate.
I wish that it turns out to be a sweet experience for me. Hope so. I think I have that freedon at least.

Last edited by:

anup123: Jul 29, 2002, 2:49 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I would put it up in my museum instead....

yip, stick it in your museum.

Laugh

r
Quote Reply
>>
It was not meant to be interpretted that way. I was and am only interested in getting my install out to a working level. I have been patiently waiting but even I am answerable to someone here. Well if talking about unattended to bugs is interpretted as slating or somethin "extra" then I do understand that there should be only expression of happy experiences. I shall take the first opportunity to PUBLICLY Say SOrry for all the UNINTENTIONAL slating (i never intended to mean the way it has been unfortunately interpreted),
<<

Quote:
All I can say is that it is a release Adamantly stuck to its list of Bugs looking for a caretaker.

I would be out of my mind If i dared to sell this concept with so many bugs.

Truth is always harsh but only good guys always shun the idea of being a psychophants or rather being surrounded by a cotorie of ppl who always take the opportunity to talk only good things!

Unintentional?

>>
I am sorry but i am still living with those bugs.
<<

So perhaps Brewt should bug fix each individual installation, one by one?
Quote Reply
Quote:
Unintentional?

YES. Who would subscribe to the services (on five domains of ours) we are projecting to market as PAID one. I think we as a company would collapse permanently if we ever dared to do that in the present state. Can we market it? Answer it honestly and u would understand how UNINTENTIONAL it was.

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jul 29, 2002, 3:03 AM
Quote Reply
I thought I'd just share my thoughts and try to provide an objective rather that subjective view...I don't want to get into an argument or divert the thread so I'll stop here.
Quote Reply
Hi all,

I just read the first post of this thread (too long Tongue), but I've been using GM for more than one year and I'm very happy with it. Some improvements should be done (e-mail read notification, groups in adresses and draft folder), and yes maybe there is a really small bug... but it works great! I'm glad to have purchased it, I never had a really serious problem with it, and people like me who doesn't have very high tech knowledgements really appreciate.

Oh! And always I needed it, someone of staff has helped my kindly.

And I'm not a just registered user...

Narcís