Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

ISP requirements

Quote Reply
ISP requirements
Cool

I have a Domain name and wish to know what requirements are required if I was to install GM to carry out our Web Based email service.

Mainly - what if anything does my ISP have to change on their server to enable me to run GM.

Their understanding is that have to do major changes to settings and they have stated they are not prepared to do this.

Many thanks

Quote Reply
Re: [Ian Conza] ISP requirements In reply to
Suprisingly enough, this information is already posted on the GTMail home page:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ail/requirements.htm

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] ISP requirements In reply to
Cool

Suprising enough it does not tell me if the ISP has to change any email setting on their server. I have one email account on their service and understand that this could be the holdall account, other than that ?????

Many thanks for your reply though.

Our ISP is telling me they are not prepared to change any settings on their server and do not have the resources to allow me to run a web based email service on my own site.

Last edited by:

Ian Conza: Oct 1, 2001, 2:24 AM
Quote Reply
From my understanding, the system can work with a one catch-all POP account. I believe that's the standard set up.

Who's your ISP? Why don't you just move? Take a look at GT hosting. If you are serious about running your mail service, maybe it would be a wise idea to look into them.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Greetings Will!

Crazy <---------------Maybe I am - but I like my ISP. I think he needs to understand it does not require any major changes to his email server, that why I am asking the ?

God Bless you brother and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote Reply
Hi Ian

I don't think he will need to tamper with your email settings at all. If you've got one, catch-all mail POP account already - that's great. You will not need to change anything.

I think the biggest problem you will run into with a small ISP, is the ability to run a database. Do they run a database server at all? And do they have the neccessary Perl modules loaded?

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi Wil!

All the specs mentioned on the page you linked to, his server meets.

It is his understanding of what he has to do on his server. Looking at the specs I could install GT connect it to an existing DB I have running there and he would not even know as it appears to me he has to change nothing on his server.

SmileSmileSmile

Last edited by:

Ian Conza: Oct 1, 2001, 3:29 AM
Quote Reply
Yep! Although before you jump in and buy a lisence it would make sense to send an email off to GT support for official confirmation of this.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi,

Can you elaborate a bit what you are trying to do? Do you want to give out free email access @yourdomain.com? Or are you just trying to provide access to existing POP accounts from the web?

If you want to give out free email accounts, then you need to:

1. Be able to setup a POP box that is a catch all account.
2. Be able to run a cron job every 5 minutes that will check that account for email and pull the email into the POP box.

If you just want to provide web based email for existing pop accounts, then nothing special is required. Just install Gossamer Mail, add the Auth_POP plugin (free download) and that's it! No cron jobs, no catch alls required.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] ISP requirements In reply to
Thanks Alex! You answered the ? Smile

Last edited by:

Ian Conza: Oct 2, 2001, 12:17 AM
Quote Reply
What is needed if I want to run a web based service where people can access email from anywhere (like yahoo mail) and can access email from different pop accounts they already have? How many existing pop accounts can they assign per account?

In otherwords, I will just be providing them accesibility and not a free email address (like yahoo does). Can a combination of both be done?
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] ISP requirements In reply to
I'm guessing that this is actually the easiest to setup, since you won't even need to setup local accounts (ie. catch-all, individual pop, etc).

Quote:
How many existing pop accounts can they assign per account?
You can pretty much change it to whatever number you want (it's set in the admin on a per user basis with a default value). Although making it too high might not be such a great idea if you have a lot of users, as your server will be the one that has to go out to all the pop servers and check the mail.

Quote:
Can a combination of both be done?
Yes, if you're asking if you can have a local account (for your domain), and also let the user check external pop accounts.

Adrian