Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

POP Plugin query

Quote Reply
POP Plugin query
Hi

POP plugin would allow mails download using Desktop clients from Gossamer Mail --Fine. However, Client would always need to reply to Downloaded mail in 9/10 cases. So what happens then as that would need SMTP. I am on Exim with POP before SMTP. Clients would not want to do a "Reply To" in their client and use their ISP for replying.

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] POP Plugin query In reply to
Hi,

I'd recommend you tell your users to use their ISP's mail server. In fact, many ISP's now hijack outgoing mail (at least traffic on port 25) and force it through their system. This also avoids you having to setup limits to prevent spam abuse on your smtp server.

If you do want to offer users access to your smtp server, rather then using POP before SMTP, I'd suggest looking at SMTP Auth. Hopefully exim has an sql plugin that you could use for smtp auth. If not, we can create a custom module for you.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] POP Plugin query In reply to
Hi.

Looks like i couldn't phrase my question corectly.
Second attempt:

cPanel server setup
cppop server -- cPanel's home cooked stuff (most likely)
Exim MTA -- Unfortunately, cPanel's version does not have Mysql lookup compiled in (developer's always leave few things out for reasons best known to them and they hardly ever get convinced that it could be needed)
POP before SMTP configured

My Question:
With POP Plugin installed, would a user be able to send mail out using our server ... the only thing added is POP Plugin and no change? (Virtual Hosting Users loging in to their POP account can)

Yes i would always love to convince people to use their ISP's mail server but you know a buyer is a buyer and when he can get something next door, he would always want that also elsewhere no matter whether he/she uses it or not. It's something like a loaded cell phone ... users hardly use more than 2/3 features but when it comes to buying, they want all the features of most of the cell phones (in the same price range) loaded into the one that he has his mind set on ... if not then there is steep bargaining that he looks for.

It's only when all ISP's en mass stop allowing that it becomes easier for them to accept it. Can't force a behavioural change in a day :/

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
I see 2 POP related things in Plugins are:

Gossamer Mail POP Server 1500US$
Pop_Server 500$

Which one is what?

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, they would not be able to send mail via your server without some changes (unless you are running an open relay, in which case you have bigger problems). =)

The changes required would be either:

a. Modify the pop server to add the ip of the authenticating user to a pop-before-smtp database.
b. (Better option) Modify your smtp server to authenticate off the Gossamer Mail user database and only allow smtp auth.

or

c. Don't offer the service as anyone connecting to the internet is almost always given an smtp server to send outgoing mail through.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Quote:
a. Modify the pop server to add the ip of the authenticating user to a pop-before-smtp database.
This is how it is setup. This remains active for predefined period of time before user is required to relogin to pop server again.

How does it happen with POP plugin? How would the 110 popserver (a cpanel stuff which gets overwritten if there are upgrades) know of a user connecting to GM POP plugin?

Open relay .... we wouldn't have been around for 5 years if we had that :=)

Quote:
b. (Better option) Modify your smtp server to authenticate off the Gossamer Mail user database and only allow smtp auth.

Too involved as cPanel's Exim installation doesn't have Mysql lookup compiled in

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: May 4, 2005, 8:47 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

For option a, it would take some custom work. I'm not familiar with how cpanel keeps it's database of allowed IP's. Basically you need to modify the plugin so that upon a successful authentication it adds the IP to whatever database cpanel's installation of exim uses for pop-before-smtp.

You also need to of course switch the port the main pop server is running on, as you can't have both cpanel's pop server and the gossamer mail pop server on the same port. Typically what we do is put the system mail servers pop server on port 11000, and the admin uses that for pop access to real pop accounts. Everyone else connects to Gossamer Mail's pop server on port 110.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
It adds the IP address to
/etc/relayhosts

And something like this to /etc/relayhostsusers

IP username

Can't really change the cppop port it could annoy the already existing users on 110 and perhaps break few things in cpanel. Not sure on the last part though.

Thanks
HyTC