Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

pre sale comparision

Quote Reply
pre sale comparision
I'm thinking about purchasing Gossamer Mail. Here is a questions I would like answered:

How do you rate your software and support compared to Stalker's Communigate Pro?
Quote Reply
Re: [donwe] pre sale comparision In reply to
Hi,

Communigate Pro is primairly a mail server like Sendmail or Qmail, whereas Gossamer Mail is a web interface to users email. Where the email is stored, or how the email is delivered can be setup in a number of ways.

A number of users on Windows have used Communigate Pro for the mail server, and Gossamer Mail to provide the web access (as they preferred the web interface of Gossamer Mail).

Again, they are different programs, so I'm not sure what sort of comparision to make.

Hope this helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] pre sale comparision In reply to
Hi Alex,

Thank you for responding so quickly. Anyways, I'm a bid confused. Please help as I have a lot of questions.

1. Isn't Gossamer Mail is a mail server as well as a Web interface?

2. Can I use Gossamer Mail like a mail server without Communigate Pro?

3. What is the error rate when Gossamer Mail is under heavy load?

4. Does Gossamer Mail have IMAP feature?

5. Do I have to pay again if I move servers (another install)?

6. Can Gossamer Mail forward non machine generated email?

7. Since Gossamer is a Web based email application, wouldn't the server that hosts Gossamer Mail be infected if an email has a virus and the user opens the email?

Thanks, Alex.
Quote Reply
Hi,

1. No, Gossamer Mail works with a mail server like Sendmail, QMail, Microsoft Exchange, or Communigate Pro. A mail server is still required. Gossamer Mail provides the web interface to send/receive email.

2. You don't need Communigate Pro, but you do need some mail server. You need access to an SMTP server to send mail, and access to a POP server to retrieve your mail.

3. What do you mean by error rate? We have a site that is getting more then 400 messages a minute, and Gossamer Mail is handling that fine.

4. No, there are no IMAP features yet.

5. Only if you want us to do the move for you. You own the software, and can move it to another server if you like. We typically charge $75 dollars to do a reinstall.

6. What do you mean by "machine generated mail"?

7. No, only the person who is reading their email can get infected by a virus, the server won't be infected.

Hope this helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

>>

3. What do you mean by error rate? We have a site that is getting more then 400 messages a minute, and Gossamer Mail is handling that fine.
>>

Is that figure Sustained or Burstable Wink I had read about the importance of these two terms in one of your notes somewhere on this forum (discussing about server and costs of the same)... though can't remeber where? If thats sustained then what is the total duration of sampling?

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] pre sale comparision In reply to
A quick search showed that pugdog is keen on those two terms :-)

Search Results for Sustained or Burstable

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] pre sale comparision In reply to
Hi,

That is the average, it burts up to 950 messages a minute.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Thanks again for your reply. I think I'm more clear on what Gossamer Mail is.

Can you compare Communigate Pro with Sendmail and Qmail? Pros & Cons? Which would you use and why?

Good Day!
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you are on a unix system, I highly recommend qmail:

1. It's very fast
2. Can effectively deal with large volumes of mail - used by companies such as Yahoo Mail, USA.net, Hotmail outgoing mail server (have switched to ms now though)
3. It's free.

If you are on a windows system, then qmail isn't an option. Communigate Pro is a good mail server though, and I would recommend it for Windows users.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Quote:
1. No, Gossamer Mail works with a mail server like Sendmail, QMail, Microsoft Exchange, or Communigate Pro

I think that needs correction. There are definately certain issues to be sorted out wrt BCC etc.