Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

Questions

Quote Reply
Questions
I'm considering purchasing Gossamer Mail but I have a couple questions.

1. Can I integrate registration so people who sign up for my site automatically get an email account with the same username and password?

2. Can I import/set-up a large number of users at once from a text file? (i.e. I'll be switching from another system)

3. I have a mail server installed on my machine for POP accounts, can I have some accounts be POP and some be web-based on the same domain and will Gossamer work with my mailserver? I read about a catch-all account, but I need my employees to be POP while the website users are web-based.

4. If I have the mail server on the same box as my webserver (WIN2K) will I run into any performance problems for a medium-sized site (probably about 500 mail users)?

5. On the hosting options, does the monthly price include the software or is that extra?

Thanks for your help!

- Justin

Quote Reply
Re: Questions In reply to
Hi,

1. Definately. We can help you put together a plugin that will make it seamless, so that users who sign up elsewhere on your site get their email account, and can move from one part of your site directly into Gossamer Mail.

2. There is no built in mechanisim for this, but if you are switching from another email system, we'd be happy to write the script that does this (as it will be useful for others).

3. Yes definately. The way a catch all works is that any mail that does not match an existing POP account will get delivered to a catch all. So if you create a POP box named webmaster, then Gossamer Mail will never even see the webmaster mail, it won't get there.

4. 500 Users is a small site. =) Yes, you can run it all on the same server.

5. No, software is included.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex. As usual you guys have a quality product here. And the fact that it can handle plug-ins designed by the community is very appealing.

The system we used before had a little script where we passed the username and password to the web-based mail program and they were set up. There is no need to validate on the mail side because we do that in our member DB. Our DB is SQL7, would the mail integrate or would we use a separate mail DB?

I think the import script would be very useful to others and not too difficult to write (well, for you at least). I already have the comma-delimited text dump of our old users, and I would like to be able to get them all in without any data entry.

I know 500 is small, the site is much bigger than that but those are only the ones using mail. We never promoted the mail much because I wasn't happy with the system we had. Looks like that will change with Gossamer though!

Last question, would you recommend the hosted option or just the purchase? And if we purchase can we transfer to a hosted option later if need be (or would we ever even want to?). I'm ready to get this going ASAP (our other service shuts down on Friday!), but I just want to make the right choice for our business.

Thanks again for your help.
- Justin

Quote Reply
Hi,

In Reply To:
Our DB is SQL7, would the mail integrate or would we use a separate mail DB?
We normally recommend MySQL for the following reasons:

1. It's free.
2. It's easy to seutp on Windows or on Linux
3. It's faster.
4. You can use our bundled MySQLMan tools for easy database manipulation.

And MySQL can run perfectly fine with MS SQL 7 on the same server. However, Gossamer Mail 2 can work with MS SQL 7 as well.

In Reply To:
I think the import script would be very useful to others and not too difficult to write (well, for you at least). I already have the comma-delimited text dump of our old users, and I would like to be able to get them all in without any data entry
Drop me an email with more details, as if this is a competing product we'd be interetsed in writing a proper import that imports as much information as possible (like messages, folders, preferences etc).

In Reply To:
Last question, would you recommend the hosted option or just the purchase? And if we purchase can we transfer to a hosted option later if need be (or would we ever even want to?).
You can always switch to the hosting option if you need to. Send me an email with your contact info and we can discuss further to find what bets meets your needs.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.