Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

Migrating a large site to GM

Quote Reply
Migrating a large site to GM
Hi,

Currently we have a mail service with pop3 accounts and webmail from Endymion Mailman.

We have 70000 accounts and 37000 webmail accounts.

We have two separate servers, one with smtp and pop3 services, and the other with webmail services.

The webmail works fetching pop3 mailbox from the other server, like a pop3 client, and store the mails in local folders.

I look at your website and view that gm works with a catch-all account and you have a pop3 server to access the webmail folders, is this correct ?

With your solution I need to consolidate the two servers or is posible to load balance your product in two servers?

Do you have large installations with your product ?, how many account do you support in a dual PIII 1.26Ghz and 1 Gbyte de RAM ?

How many pop3 request do you support with your product?, currently we have 300000 pop3 requests a day !!

We are impressed with your product, but we need to know if it scale up to 100000 accounts or more.

Victor.
Quote Reply
Re: [vvillar] Migrating a large site to GM In reply to
Hi,

Yes, Gossamer Mail can scale to that many users, we have had over 150,000 accounts on one installation.

My top recommendation would be to have fast disk drives (scsi), and a good mail server (qmail).

You can setup Gossamer Mail in a number of different ways, from a single catch all, to piping incoming email to a script, to reading directly from a mbox file.

We also offer managed hosting where we can support the hardware needed to run your Gossamer Mail optimally, let me know if you are interested in that.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Migrating a large site to GM In reply to
Alex,

Wich hardware configuration you recommend for 100000 users or more, currently we have a Compaq Proliant ML370 with 2 x 733 Mhz and 1 Gbyte de RAM and 10K U160 SCSI disks for sendmail and pop3.

Do you have experience in migrating from Endymion Mailman to GM ?, how you recommend for migrating the mailboxes ?

The GM pop3 server suppor this type of site ?, currently we have 30000 users using our service via pop3.

Ok for qmail.

Victor.
Quote Reply
Hi Victor,

Building multi server configurations depends on a lot of factors such as: volume of mail, concurrent connections, virus scanning, spam processing, web traffic, pop traffic, etc, so I'm hesitant to recommend anything without knowing all the details.

For a single server setup, I'd recommend: dual 1.2 ghz+, 2 gigs of ram, and 15k scsi disks (you will want on average around 100 gigs for that many users, but that will vary).

For a dual server setup, I'd recommend a database server, and an application server. To further split things up, if you are using spamassassin and virus scanning, I'd recommend an smtp server to handle incoming + outgoing mail as that can require a lot of cpu.

As for the import, no, we don't have anything prebuilt to import from endymion I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

If I use de GM POP3 Server, how can I use SMTP ?, is posible to implement for example pop before smtp or smtp-auth ?

For Antivirus how do you recommend for use with q-mail ?

Victor.
Quote Reply
Hi,

We don't have anything builtin for pop before smtp, or smtp-auth, but could create either one for you as a custom job. We can also create a custom qmail-smtpd so that it only accepts incoming mail for valid Gossamer Mail customers (much like hotmail or yahoo), this shifts the burden to handling bounces for non existent users to whomever is sending the email.

For antivirus, there are a number of solutions for qmail: Bitdefender, Sophos, and F-Prot to name a few.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

More questions:

- Is possible to add/delete accounts from a shell script ?, currently we have a unique sign-on from our Portal for all the application we have.

- Is possible to send the footer only to certain users?, in example the users that not pay for the service

- How SpamAssian plugin works with GM ?

- The SpamAssian plugin add user configurable options for Spam ?

- Is posible to use SpamAssian plugin with Auth_POP3 plugin ?

Victor.
Quote Reply
Hi,

1. A shell script would have to be created, it wouldn't be very hard.
2. Yes, the footer is a per user option.
3. The spamassassin plugin adds a new spam options menu for the user, and let's them either delete anything marked spam, or move it to a specific folder.
4. Yes, it will work with Auth_POP3 plugin.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.