Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

Mail Servers Required?

Quote Reply
Mail Servers Required?
Hi,

I understand the catch all concept but can you tell me if I will need a mail server for each domain? Can I just have the mx records pointed to a single domain that has the catch all account and avoid having multiple mail servers?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [donwe] Mail Servers Required? In reply to
No you do not need a mail server for each domain - you just need to configure your mail server to accept mail for those domains and deliver them to the catchall account. Your MX records for those domains should all point to the same server, but your mail server also needs to be configured to accept mail for those domains.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Mail Servers Required? In reply to
1. Does that mean I will have to get an account for each of my domains and default those email accounts to the domain where GMail resides?

2. Why do I need to point the MX records for those domains to the same server? Shouldn't they be pointed to their own domain since their email account's email is received then send to domail where GMail resides? Please explain as I am confused.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
1. Does that mean I will have to get an account for each of my domains and default those email accounts to the domain where GMail resides?
It depends on how you configure your mail server. Typically, you would configure a catchall account for each domain.

In Reply To:
2. Why do I need to point the MX records for those domains to the same server? Shouldn't they be pointed to their own domain since their email account's email is received then send to domail where GMail resides? Please explain as I am confused.
Again, it really depends on your set up. You should point the MX records for the domains to the mail server that's configured to accept mail for those domains. Depending on your set up, it could be on separate machines, or on a single machine. On Gossamer Mail's side, it doesn't care where the mail servers are as long as it can fetch the mail from the catchall account using POP3.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

Again, it really depends on your set up. You should point the MX records for the domains to the mail server that's configured to accept mail for those domains. Depending on your set up, it could be on separate machines, or on a single machine. On Gossamer Mail's side, it doesn't care where the mail servers are as long as it can fetch the mail from the catchall account using POP3.

If I setup domains to default to the domain where Gmail resides, GMail will only have to fetch one POP3 account. Would this be more efficient and faster?

BTW, don't you guys sleep Crazy Anyway, you guys are the best! Thank you.
Quote Reply
You can do that too, though I don't think it would make that much of a difference, but of course it's very dependent on how things are set up.

In Reply To:
BTW, don't you guys sleep
I just sleep at non 'normal' hours ;)

Adrian
Quote Reply
When I setup domains to default to the domain where Gmail resides, basically I am configuring domains' catch all account to point to domain where GMail resides. Having said that, do I still point domains' mx to its own domain, or do I point domains' mx to domain where GMail resides?

In Reply To:
I just sleep at non 'normal' hours ;)

Ditto :)
Quote Reply
Just set the MX records to whichever mail server that is set up to receive mail for that domain.

Adrian