Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

Ease of restoring after server move?

Quote Reply
Ease of restoring after server move?
Hi, an important question that comes up to my mind...

1) I used to use Gossamer Links, but now I don't because of CGI wrap errors that I just couldn't stand, and because of the problems you have to go through in restoring backups after a server move. If I use a PHP Links script, all I have to do is upload the database portion & script, and it's done, but with CGI scripts, you have to go through the pain of the 2 following major headaches:

a) chmodding a pile of directories & files, which can take hours!!! arggg...
b) must take care of CGI wrap errors if they happen

Now because of these things about CGI, I have stopped using all my other CGI scripts, not just Gossamer Links script.

So here's the big question: I used to use Bigmailbox.com's email service, but stopped because they really suck. I'm thinking Everyone.net's service should probably be similar, so screw them too. I really need a serious email script, and everyone tells me Gossamer's product rules! They say I can even use GM to integrate with my vBulletin, which is a major plus too! So I come here expecting a PHP product, and I see a CGI product. I'm puzzled how a CGI script can be used with a PHP script. So can anyone take a moment to enlighten me to anything I'm missing out on CGI (I'm still a novice in CGI & PHP, but I started learning PHP recently because it seems to be a whole lot better than CGI), and why I should buy GM? Thanx for your time in advance :-)

P.S. Regarding the 2 problems above with CGI scripts, I searched around here regarding how it can affect GM, so you can see what kind of answer I'm looking for (in addition to anything that you guys can tell me about why I should still use a CGI script, mainly GM, instead of a PHP email script):

a) I couldn't find answer, a big reason why I'm posting this post in the first place :)
b) You guys say I shouldn't get CGI wrap errors while installing GM (to my Rag 4i), which is good news...
Quote Reply
Re: [Vector] Ease of restoring after server move? In reply to
>>a) chmodding a pile of directories & files, which can take hours!!! arggg...<<

From telnet or ssh:

chmod -R 0755 /path/to/cgi-bin

>>must take care of CGI wrap errors if they happen<<

Normally the cgiwrap errors tell you what you need to fix

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 29, 2001, 3:55 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Vector] Ease of restoring after server move? In reply to
Hi,

In regards to 1, the best way to move the script is to run the installer and install it in your new location. Then just upload your templates, and your database and you are done. No file permissions to deal with. As for CGIwrap errors, if you can, don't use it.

As for 2, the integration works because both Gossamer Mail and vBulletin store the information in an SQL database. Gossamer Mail is able to authenticate the user based off the same tables vBulletin uses. The language is not important, it could be Java, or ASP, it doesn't matter.

Your cgiwrap problems stems from your Raq. I highly recommend you change SetHandler cgi-wrapper to SetHandler cgi-script inside your httpd.conf file. The cgi-wrapper that ships with raq's are very poor.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Ease of restoring after server move? In reply to
Forgot to say thanx, so far an A+ for replies in the forums & email support, less than an hour to answer all of my questions! :)