Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Pre Sales :

DC products for a newspaper?

Quote Reply
DC products for a newspaper?
Hi there Paul!

I was recently contacted by a local paper that thought he'd just have the secretary or someone build a website for the paper. We told them that this wouldn't work years ago. They're doing everything with Netscape on a Mac. Tongue He said that they want us to maybe take over the maintenance of the data of the site.

I'm thinking of having him purchase the Links program to archive the stories. Are there any of your other products that would be of use to a newspaper? Do you have any suggestions? We will be starting over from scratch.
Quote Reply
Re: [Fisherman] DC products for a newspaper? In reply to
Hi,

Seeing as I'm called Paul, I'll answer......when you said "Hi Paul" who were you addressing?

DBMAN SQL would probably be a better solution for archiving stories as it fits the purpose more specifically than Links SQL would.

As this is the Gossamer Mail forum you should repost in the Links SQL discussion forum or the DBMAN SQL forum

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 16, 2001, 11:37 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] DC products for a newspaper? In reply to
Yep! You were the Paul I was refering to. I posted in the wrong forum I guess. I was thinking of using Links 2.0 but if Links Sql would work better then I might use that. The paper is a small one for a little town in Texas. I'm using Links 2.0 on our non-profit site and we love it. It's easy to use and I like the way I can use differents templates for the various sections of the site.
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you could send me a pm with your requirements I can try to help you make a decision and answer any questions you have, unless you wish to post a public message for others to respond to also (we'll get into trouble if we continue the conversation here Blush)

Quote:
Are there any of your other products that would be of use to a newspaper?

...oh, I just better point out that Gossamer-Threads scripts don't belong to me but I'm flattered you thought they did :)

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 16, 2001, 11:42 AM
Quote Reply
Paul,

I have seen your name so much in here that I thought you were one of the staff. Sorry.

Fisherman
Quote Reply
No problem. As I said, I was flattered :)
Quote Reply
Links 2.0 has worked so well for us that I think I'll set it up for the paper to archive their articles and set up the Active State Classified program for their classified ad section. Then I could teach one or two of their staff to keep the site maintained. A couple of years ago we had a meeting with them to do their site and they got cheap on us and tried to do it themselves. I said then, "They'll be back when they find out how much work it is to build." and lo and behold... here they come. With their cooperation I can have that whole site re-done in about a week. (If I didn't have to re-design it, I could do it in three days.) If there's a better program to use for archiving the stories and other things, let me know and I'll take a look. I've been looking at some of the other newspapers on the web to get some ideas. I've never done a paper before. This'll be fun! Cool