Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

why does it take so long for messages to arrive?

Quote Reply
why does it take so long for messages to arrive?
Greetings,

when i send messages to accounts using gossamer mail it takes about a half hour for the messages to arrive, whereas, sending to accounts on the default mail client (neomail) provided with the webhost admin the they arrive in less than five minutes! What is going on here?

bob
Quote Reply
Re: [bob c3] why does it take so long for messages to arrive? In reply to
May be better posting in the correct forum :)

It's probably something to do with the incoming.pl cronjob.

Last edited by:

Paul: Nov 25, 2002, 7:40 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] why does it take so long for messages to arrive? In reply to
thanks for moving the thread paul.

i figured it had something to do with the incoming.pl but i reviewed the cron job and it is set to go off every five minutes, as per install instructions.. is their a cron job for cron jobs? ;)

bob
Quote Reply
Hi,

Try sending a message, and then run incoming.pl manually. Does it appear as soon as you run incoming.pl? If so, then your cron job isn't running as often as you think.

If not, then it's something with your mail server taking a while to deliver the message to the pop account.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] why does it take so long for messages to arrive? In reply to
Thanks for the reply Alex. How do you run the cron job manually? I can set it to run every minute. Is that what you mean? Or some kind of shell command?

bob
Quote Reply
WOW, i set the cron job for every minute and voila, messages delivered in one minute.. Why is this not working when i set it for 5 minutes? I will try two minutes and see what happens.

bob
Quote Reply
two minutes is slow too....?

bob