Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

webmail_sessions

Quote Reply
webmail_sessions
If i do not hit the Logoff/ Exit button and just close the browser, the sessions table shows me as logged on. Is this OK? If i hit the logoff/exit then the sessions table also gets updated accordingly.

Now if admin moves to a mailbox, there is no exit provision there. This means that the admin moving in to a mailbox and then moving out the sessions table will have the data there in the table till the session expires.

Also when a user logs in and reaches the home page the sessions_data is:

'page',undef,'cookie','1','do',undef

why is page undef? when the page that the user is really on is home.htm

What ideally should be the session expire time set to? Any 'practical norms'

I am asking this wrt the provision of displaying "Users Logged On" on login page which works as per the globals uggested by Adrian@brewt.

Thnx

Anup

Anup.

Last edited by:

anup123: Aug 4, 2003, 5:02 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] webmail_sessions In reply to
In Reply To:
If i do not hit the Logoff/ Exit button and just close the browser, the sessions table shows me as logged on. Is this OK? If i hit the logoff/exit then the sessions table also gets updated accordingly.

Yes, that is normal, and is okay.

In Reply To:
Now if admin moves to a mailbox, there is no exit provision there. This means that the admin moving in to a mailbox and then moving out the sessions table will have the data there in the table till the session expires.

Yup, but an admin going through a user's inbox shouldn't be happening too often how should it? Wink

In Reply To:
Also when a user logs in and reaches the home page the sessions_data is:

'page',undef,'cookie','1','do',undef

why is page undef? when the page that the user is really on is home.htm

I believe page and do are only set if they are passed into Gossamer Mail.

In Reply To:
What ideally should be the session expire time set to? Any 'practical norms'

I am asking this wrt the provision of displaying "Users Logged On" on login page which works as per the globals uggested by Adrian@brewt.

This should be set to a period of time which you would think a user will idle for (say, while composing an email). hotmail's default is 2 hours, Gossamer Mail's default is 4 hours. So anywhere between there sounds good to me.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] webmail_sessions In reply to
Fine.

Onto error handling. Right now the error handling is general 'expired/invalid' session. How could the 'expired session' be separated from 'invalid session'. Say the session has expired and the user then does some ativity. The error displayed should be that "The Session Has Expired Due To Long Inactivity" Please Relogin, instead of the more generic "expired/invalid session" right now.

This should be separated from a case where a user accesses the GM from Favourites Folder say-- Which should be the "Invalid Session" error.

So basically I would want the "Invalid" and "Expired Session" errors separated. How would that be possible. I do not remeber exactly, but I think i saw this either on everyone.net or mail.com (not sure though)

Thnx

Anup