Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

remote catchall account and GMail

Quote Reply
remote catchall account and GMail
Hi,

If GMail and catchall account of a given domain is not on the same server as GMail would it be possible to have GMail function without the need to modify the mx record of the remote domain?

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] remote catchall account and GMail In reply to
It should be fine. An MX record tells you the mail server's address for a particular domain (ie. where mail should be delivered to for that domain/subdomain(s)). Gossamer Mail only collects mail from this server. For smaller setup's these are typically the same machine, but yes, you could split these up without any problems.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] remote catchall account and GMail In reply to
Thnx. Now in case the GMail users (of that remotely hosted domain) wishes to have pop access to his Gmail accounts (after the pop plugin is installed ie) then for pop Access to Gmail accounts do the MX records have to change to point to the server where GMail is installed?. If not required then how exactly would the GMail user be able to connect to the GMail account of a domain not on the same server as GMail....

ANup
Quote Reply
Quote:
Thnx. Now in case the GMail users (of that remotely hosted domain) wishes to have pop access to his Gmail accounts (after the pop plugin is installed ie) then for pop Access to Gmail accounts do the MX records have to change to point to the server where GMail is installed?. If not required then how exactly would the GMail user be able to connect to the GMail account of a domain not on the same server as GMail....

If you change the MX record then your server will have to handle their mail. If you leave the MX record alone, you would have to give your clients the name or IP of your pop server. You can always do something like client-domain.your-domain.com for each of your clients. Maybe come up with a generic your-domain.com name to keep it somewhat anonymous. I would user that method over changing the MX record though.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just tried the stuff on a test install and running incoming.pl manually. Sent a mail to the GM account (of a remotely hosted domain) and following is the observation:

(1). To; CC works fine from a non gm account.

(2). BCC Fails with the following header (intercepted at catchall stage) from the same account.

Received: from web13003.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.174.13] by viscus
(SMTPD32-8.03) id AAE152000F2; Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:21:29 +0530
Message-ID: <20031203214442.64410.qmail@web13003.mail.yahoo.com>
Received: from [xxx.xx.xxx.xx] by web13003.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:44:42 PST
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:44:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Test BCC Remote GM
To: user@gmdomain <-- This is live GM Local Account Non Remote.
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-2025746511-1070487882=:61565"
X-RCPT-TO: <user@remotedomain.com> <-- This is the BCC GM account of remote hosted domain

X-UIDL: 370477115

--Edit--

The header of a To: GM Account of remotely hosted domain is as follows:

Received: from web13001.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.174.11] by viscus (SMTPD32-8.03)
id A68151800F2; Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:02:49 +0530
Received: from [xxx.xx.xxx.xx] by web13001.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Wed, 03 Dec
2003 13:26:02 PST
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:26:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Remote Catch All Test
To: gmuser@remotedomain.com
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-242308202-1070486762=:18002"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
Message-Id: <20031203212602.18625.qmail@web13001.mail.yahoo.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Rcpt-To: <gmuser@remotedomain.com>
X-Uidl: 370477112

The BCC failed. Other things just work fine. Any clues...

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Dec 3, 2003, 2:04 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] remote catchall account and GMail In reply to
Thnx Charlie. I think if i have understood coorectly then:

ip address of server, port of where gmpop plugin would be operating would be the only thing needed.Yes no need to get into the hassle of having the mx records modified. But sine im not equipped with gm pop plugin i can really not test that.

However, there are issues wrt bcc delivery (in this particualr test case of a remotely hosted domain on windows 2k server).

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Is it correct to assume that the first set of headers is an BCC email from yahoouser@yahoo.com to user@remotedomain.com (but also sent to user@gmdomain.com - which doesn't really matter in this case)?

If this is the case, what mail server is that domain using? It seems to be adding the X-Rcpt-To header for who the email was actually delivered to. If it's a fairly common mail server, I'll add it to the headers that incoming.pl checks for recipients.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian.

The mail server on remote machine is 'imail 8.x'

Everything works except for BCC delivery to the GM account of remotely hosted domain when the mail is being routed thru this imail mailserver.

FYI: another mailserver which windows based servers use is mailenable (free) from http://mailenable.com though i do not have access to any server with that mailserver to see what headers are added.

Current test is for imail8.x mailserver.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian.

Thnx for pointing out and thanx to Charlie... since i was impatient with completing the test (as this remote catch all account is not mine), i added the X-Rcpt-To in incoming.pl and could get the bcc delivered.

So that's fixed for me at least :)

Anup

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Quote Reply
Yup, 90% of the time when you have mail delivery problems with incoming.pl, it's to do with it not being able to find the correct headers of who to deliver the mail to. The solution is to just figure out what header has this information and modify incoming.pl to use that header. It'd also be nice to post a message on here to let me know so I can possibly add it to incoming.pl.

Adrian