Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

mac users of outlook express?

Quote Reply
mac users of outlook express?
Greetings,

we have set up the pop server so our clients can download messages via outlook express, etc. So far so good for the PC folks. Mac folks are not having good luck however. Anyone get macintosh versions of outlook express to work with the pop server?

Thanks,

Bob

.:SEAWEAD:.
Quote Reply
Re: [baidarkabob] mac users of outlook express? In reply to
Hi,

We have not had any trouble with the pop server on mac installs? What error message do they see?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] mac users of outlook express? In reply to
I will check on the error but it sounds like they just can't connect?

I am using the identical settings in outlook express 6 on a PC and it is working great. The mac users are using version 5.x and are going nowhere. Does the Mac need to be informed that we are using port 1100 for the pop server other than through the settings in OE?

Bob

Quote Reply
Hi,

Here is the error -

could not retrieve mail from the account.
explanation - a connection failure has occured
error:-23012

Any mac people accessing their emails via outlook express from the gm pop_server?

Give me faith.

As mentioned above, i have the identical settings working on a PC running version 6 of outlook express.

Any clues?

bob

Last edited by:

baidarkabob: Feb 5, 2003, 3:00 PM
Quote Reply
Do you get the error on other mac machines as well, or just this one. Saw this in Google:

http://www.macwisdom.com/...s/CTBError23012.html

Not sure if it's relevant. Of course the other link seems to think it's the pop server, but we have a number of users using Mac and the remote pop server plugin.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex, I do not think it is a problem with MacTCP DNR but thanks for the suggestion. The program was pulling messages down from a different pop server before we switched the DNS.

I am in a remote location and can't get to the machine in question. I am "seeing" the screen through the phone so to speak. The person on the other end of the line tells me that all the settings are just the way I suggest but I may be missing something (now I know how phone tech support feels!). I do not have a mac here in the house to double check. I can only set things up for testing on the PC. It is working on the PC and as far as I can tell we have our settings synched.

I am realizing that to be a good web designer I really should have a mac to test things on.

I will contact a friend who has a mac and try testing through their system but I know that we had the "problem" machine running outlook express just fine with a different pop server. That may not be saying much except that we are not complete idiots...

bob

Last edited by:

baidarkabob: Feb 6, 2003, 9:01 AM
Quote Reply
I switched the mac person's account back to the defaul pop server on port 110 and he is able to pull down his messages now. This makes me suspect that the settings we had for connecting to the Gossamer pop server were somehow incomplete. Again, I am certain that the outlook express settings that are comparable to the PC version were exactly the same - and the PC version was working. I sure would appreciate help solving this mystery as I expect several more mac clients in the future and would rather not split the email accounts up between pop servers.

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Reply
Are you encrypting the passwords by chance? Take a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/...=kb%3Ben-us%3B302112

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] mac users of outlook express? In reply to
Thanks for the tip Charlie,

No encryption was selected. Would this be a default that would vary from Mac to PC? Or from 5.0 to 6.0?

Bob

Quote Reply
I'm not really sure. I doubt it would be a default though. It might be worth it to double check though.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Hi,

It could be the user is behind a firewall and something is dropping all traffic on port 1100 (as it's not a standard port).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
That sounds like a possibility. This user is on a network and he would not have any idea if he was on a firewall. I can check that out. Thanks Alex.

BOb