Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

incoming.pl -v output to text file?

Quote Reply
incoming.pl -v output to text file?
I'm running incoming.pl from shell in -v format. The output is whizzing off my screen. Wondered if it's possible to save the output into a text file? If so how would I do that??

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: [wickedmoon] incoming.pl -v output to text file? In reply to
./incoming.pl -v >& incoming.log

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] incoming.pl -v output to text file? In reply to
Thanks Adrian. I've just received this message running incoming.pl in -v mode:

Panic: POPSTACK
Alarm clock

I got this after it failed to connect to one of the pops. Usually it hangs for a while then moves on to the next pop. What's this error?

Jason
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
./incoming.pl -v >& incoming.log

I did that but where it the log file saved? I don't see anything in the incoming.pl directory.

Jason
Quote Reply
Another error I got with "panic: POPSTACK" is "You are calling send() and you have not connected yet!" This was just after one of the unresolvable pop accounts.

Jason
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I did that but where it the log file saved? I don't see anything in the incoming.pl directory.

Use a absolute path to the log file then.

In Reply To:
Another error I got with "panic: POPSTACK" is "You are calling send() and you have not connected yet!" This was just after one of the unresolvable pop accounts.

And when I got that, it went onto the next pop account immediately.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
And when I got that, it went onto the next pop account immediately.

Invariably when talking to tech support they always begin by saying it works their side!

Jason
Quote Reply
If he can't replicate it he can't fix it....perhaps you could give him access to your server so he can check it out.....just an idea.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] incoming.pl -v output to text file? In reply to
Paul to the defensive rescue :)

It just makes users feel like tech support doesn't believe them. There is that aspect to it, whether or not that was intended. My host used to say it so much I'd begin our conversations by saying "I know it'll work perfectly your side, but there's this problem see.."

Users want to feel at least reassured. A blank "works fine my side" just leaves them feeling frustrated. It's all in how you word it.

Jason
Quote Reply
>>
Paul to the defensive rescue :)
<<

Not at all, its just that something can't be fixed unless the bug can be traced by the programmer :)

>>
It just makes users feel like tech support doesn't believe them.
<<

I know what you are saying.
Quote Reply
incoming.pl indirectly uses GT::Socket, which by default times out after 40 seconds. So if a host is really down (ie. does not reply at all), then it should only sit at a particular host for a maximum of 40 seconds.

I asked Alex about your problem, and he mentioned that your ISP was having problems with bandwidth at one time. If they're still having these problems, this could be the reason why it's taking it so long. incoming.pl is receiving data (although extremely very slowly), so it can't time out. There isn't much we can do about that.

If that's not the problem, it would be nice if you could paste (or email it to me) the output of incoming.pl -v (without any sensitive info), and descriptions of where it stops and how long it does stop there for. Without a more detailed description of the problem, it's hard for us to debug the source of the problem.

Adrian