Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

huge inconsistencies

Quote Reply
huge inconsistencies
I have a client that uses Gossamer Mail. His disk space has been growinig out of control for a while and I have tracked it down to nearly 14GB of messages on disk. There are 1.2 million files in the data/msgs dir. There are just 108,000 messages in the database.

So, I tried running the consistency.pl script. I guess it is crashing cause it runs for hours and hours and nothing changes.

Any ideas how I can do this?

The only thing I know to do at this point is shut down the app, move the msgs dir off and write a script that copies the good ones over from the old dir.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [brianlmoon] huge inconsistencies In reply to
Hi.

If you are running ./consistency.pl --fix then try running it in background (though i never have tried that).

./consistency.pl --fix &

Also i think that if it takes so much of a time, it's better to have the GM disabled and the entries of incoming.pl/outgoing.pl removed from cron before doing the above.

This is just a suggestion...

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Jul 22, 2004, 3:57 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] huge inconsistencies In reply to
I did run it in the background. That is why I am not sure what happened. I got back on the server this AM, lessed the file that I was directing output to and the output had just stopped. Looked at a ps and it was not running.
Quote Reply
Did you also redirect stderr to that file? Perhaps something killed it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi.

Does the last line of that nohup run indicate a midway termination of the run?
Not too sure but as per my calculations, consistency.pl run for that many files should take about 7 hours or so presuming that the server load does not become a issue (if that is causing killing of the process before completion).

Were you running just the consistency check or the same with --fix? Alternatively you could ask your client to talk to GT support.

Anup