Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

email templates

Quote Reply
email templates
Hi all, just installed v2. Has anyone figured out a way to "brand" the email templates (notify admin, registration, lost pasword, etc) so you can customize the message depending on which domain (or template?) a person is signed up for? The feature list mentions that you can use the templates to brand your domains which I have done with the html templates. The welcome email message seems to understand template globals but the other email templates only seem to understand a few generic tags.

thanks,

Michael

seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: email templates In reply to
I have not looked into this myself but have you tried changing the format for the other messages to HTML from text? The welcome message is HTML and that might be why it takes the template globals and the others do not.

Regards
~Charlie

Quote Reply
Yep, just tried that. Doesn't help. If my custom tags were getting replaced in those message I would not think it matters whether or not the message is sent as plain text or html, but a good thought.

Something else I've noticed... I added a new global to one of my templates in hopes of using it in the mail templates (ie <%base_url%> to provide a different website url in the automated emails depending upon which domain a person signs up for). Instead the script now throws a 500 Internal Server Error on the last step of signing up, I assume when it tries to send one of the automated e-mails and runs into my new tag. Fortunately they still get signed up and can sign in if the go to the sign in page.

Any other ideas on a work around. This seems like it should be a pretty standard feature when working with multiple domains.

cheers,

Michael

seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Actually it just worked. I had also put a global tag in the to: and from: fields of the email templates (ie <%admin_email%>). The intention being that the admin address could be different for each domain registered under. Apparently it does not like that.

Anyone know how I can achieve that goal?

thanks again,

Michael

seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [mcoyne] email templates In reply to
Hi mcoyne,

Did you achieve your result in editing welcome message from field. I too have assigned <%admin_email%> though i have created a user in domain2 the welcome message comes from webmaster@domain1.com

can you suggest me, how to rectify this problem.
waiting for your valuable suggestion.

-Regards,
Praveen
Quote Reply
Re: [b_praveen_kumar] email templates In reply to
Hi,

I have done quite a bit of customization and using just a single template on all the domains. The only thing different is a set of three images which have to be uploaded to the domains under GM operation.

I have yet not checked the customization of the From Address of welcome mail (rest all is checked and functional) and probably would do that in a day or two. there is laready a thread well answered by Chaz@Charlie

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=242654

Hope this helps

The mass mails do not take the tags though unlike LSQL where it seems that mass mail understand the tags...(i may be wrong as i am not using LSQL) but it does not happen in GM.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [b_praveen_kumar] email templates In reply to
Hi,

It's pretty simple in case your from address is also generic type say:

"Webmaster"<webmaster@domain1.com>

"Webmaster"<webmaster@domain2.com>

and so on. In the welcome email template From part just put:

"Webmaster"<webmaster<%domain%>>

It worked for me.

In case the addresses are different like Admin1@domain1.com Admin2.domail2.com etc then possibly the

<%if domain eq 'domain'%>Address1<%elsif domain eq 'domain2'%>Address2<%else%>Some Address<%endif%> could be tried. I have not yet tried this and in case you try and it works do let me know so that i could possibly put that.

Anup