Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

deleting user problem

Quote Reply
deleting user problem
When Im im gm admin and i try and delete a user, it confirms that the user has been deleted and is not shown in the list of users and in the users folder, the user is removed. However coming back into the admin say an hour or so later and i search for the user, he re-appears with all the messages in the account and the users folder is re-created on the server. Can someone explain why its re-created and why the messages are not being delted out of mysql?

I am running Gmail 2.2.2

-Andy

Last edited by:

goonz: Aug 22, 2004, 12:23 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [goonz] deleting user problem In reply to
The users folder in /gmdata/users/c/cusername is owned by the root user.

If that helps any.
Quote Reply
it looks as though its only one user. what can i do manually to remove this user and all emails associated with him or her?
Quote Reply
The problem is not only happening to one user, but all users. I need to be able to delete users from within Gmail. It is a very important function. How can they not be shown and then re-appear, with root created folders? Why do the mail messages still exist in mysql?
Quote Reply
Could it be a database permission in mysql?
Quote Reply
Your best bet would be to turn on debug and look at the error log when deleting a user. The behaviour you describe is not normal.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] deleting user problem In reply to
What error log are you referring too? I have enabled the debug in admin however there are no errors on the visible screen. It says the user is deleted.
Quote Reply
No user created directories on disk should be root owned. Is is that your gmdata directory and subdirectories within are all root owned and having permission like only root can write to it?

If messages are written as root is it that you have run your mail cron scripts as root and your other scripts in mail are also running as root?

Login as "non root" to shell and then execute consistency.pl (it is somewhere in your gossammer mail installation) script. Delete user and run that script again. What's the difference that you see between the two runs (if any).

I remeber you had problems setting up under mod_perl which you mentioned was overcome finally. Looks to me a server setup issue.

As for error logs, depends what your server is setup to log. Either there should be an errorlog file within your virtual account or errors must be logged to /apache/logs/error_log file.

HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] deleting user problem In reply to
The user directories are created as they should. They show up as root owned after they are deleted from within the admin of gmail. For a little window of time, the user does not show up in the admin, however after a few minutes or within the next half hour, the user shows back up in the gmail admin and when I go to view the users folder, root has re-created the folder i guess, and none of the messages have been deleted.

I will run consistency.pl and see what it does.

Mod_perl is up and running very well I might say. It makes a wonderful diffrence in performance.

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
The cron jobs are being run as root.

Such as incoming.pl

I'm having a problem getting consistency.pl to finish the fix scan, It tells me that thare are inconsistencies however it seems to sit and no long run the consistency process.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

Such as incoming.pl

I'm having a problem getting consistency.pl to finish the fix scan, It tells me that thare are inconsistencies however it seems to sit and no long run the consistency process.

Get incloming.pl, outgoing.pl to run as non root. It should be running preferrably as the same user under which you have installed your gmail software. Accordingly remove incoming.pl and outgoing.pl from root's crontab first and then make it run under the user under which gmail is installed. You would need to do a chown -R gmailuser:gmailuser your users and msgs directory under data else all root owned directories would/might get you errors.

Regarding consistency.pl : Yes it would just report the inconsistencies if any. What was the difference in reported inconsistencies (before and after deleting user) if any.

To fix the inconsistency, you would need to run as:

./consistency.pl --fix from the directory where the script is. Do not run it as root...

HyTC
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Such as incoming.pl

Get incloming.pl, outgoing.pl to run as non root. It should be running preferrably as the same user under which you have installed your gmail software. Accordingly remove incoming.pl and outgoing.pl from root's crontab first and then make it run under the user under which gmail is installed. You would need to do a chown -R gmailuser:gmailuser your users and msgs directory under data else all root owned directories would/might get you errors.

Regarding consistency.pl : Yes it would just report the inconsistencies if any. What was the difference in reported inconsistencies (before and after deleting user) if any.

To fix the inconsistency, you would need to run as:

./consistency.pl --fix from the directory where the script is. Do not run it as root...

HyTC

I have ran chown before to reset all the files and folders to the permission of my user.

When I try to run the cron job as non root, messages are retained in the users account. I dont believe the user has permission to rename the files in var/spool/mail

However even though the cron job is run by root, the permissions to the files in the data and the var/spool/mail is my non root account.

Last edited by:

goonz: Aug 24, 2004, 9:22 PM
Quote Reply
>> When I try to run the cron job as non root, messages are retained in the users account. I dont believe the user has permission to rename the files in var/spool/mail

incoming.pl outgoing.pl ownership is your gmail user/group.
I presume that as gmail user u have logged in to shell and run

crontab -e

*/10 * * * * /path/to/your/outgoing.pl run every 10 minutes.
*/5 * * * * /path/to/your/incoming.pl run every 5 minutes.

If this be it, then it is really unclear to me as to how your data/msgs got root ownership to begin with. It's not the cronjob but the crontab file of the user that i was referring to.

Also, if webmail.cgi/admin.cgi/ etc is also running as gmailuser, then how come the data/users/... got root ownership? You have configured your gmail as catchall mode I believe. If it's the pipe mode or something , then i have no experience on the same.

:/

HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Aug 24, 2004, 10:25 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
>> When I try to run the cron job as non root, messages are retained in the users account. I dont believe the user has permission to rename the files in var/spool/mail

incoming.pl outgoing.pl ownership is your gmail user/group.
I presume that as gmail user u have logged in to shell and run

crontab -e

*/10 * * * * /path/to/your/outgoing.pl run every 10 minutes.
*/5 * * * * /path/to/your/incoming.pl run every 5 minutes.

If this be it, then it is really unclear to me as to how your data/msgs got root ownership to begin with. It's not the cronjob but the crontab file of the user that i was referring to.

Also, if webmail.cgi/admin.cgi/ etc is also running as gmailuser, then how come the data/users/... got root ownership? You have configured your gmail as catchall mode I believe. If it's the pipe mode or something , then i have no experience on the same.

:/

HyTC

The users folders were only users that I have deleted, or tried to, delete from my gmail installation. After i delete user br549, his user folder disapears its gone, outa here. But then reappears, when i say re appears it means once again i can search that username from gmail administration and find a valid user and on top of that all of his emails are still being held. Infact i can still login as that user and see every email like the account was never deleted.

I have run consistency.pl and i ran it untill there were zero errors, and to this point i still can not delete users.

I have no clue on how this is happening or why when the user folder is created again, root creates and takes ownership of it. It is beyond me. I am hoping someone from gmail will give some some insite as to what is taking place when a users is being deleted. What file permissions as far as gmail module files, what do they need to be set to. Maybe a part deep inside gmail has a wrong permission somewhere.

From what I remember from using gmail, when a user is deleted all of there emails weither they are in the mysql or in the folders was removed.

I am sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for some kind of insite as to where I can start to troubleshoot.

I do not believe it to be a cron problem, permissions are being set just fine to all files. Maybe mod_perl has something to do with it. I have no idea what is going on with this.
Quote Reply
The web interface seems to be prompting that the action is successfully complete but actually the users are never deleted, so you think they are recreated.

Best Option: Open a support ticket to GT and let them handle it. There are many issues which need to be sorted out in your installation it seems.

As for ownership, it should be gmailuser/group all throughout.
Hope your webserver is not running as root (not dropping root privileges) which is very unlikely -- a specific compile line of -D-BIG_SECURITY-HOLE must be added to allow this -- which is very unlikely.

Sorry, it's beyond me now :/

HyTC
Quote Reply
If you send me login information, I can take a look at it for you.

Adrian