Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

cannot send mail to hotmail

Quote Reply
cannot send mail to hotmail
hello,
i m facing a bit odd problem.
from gmail on my server, i can send mails to yahoo and other account but not hotmail.
it seems hotmail not accepting mails from my gmail, but mail does reaches hotmail account if sent from other scripts like forum (phpbb) etc. i have reverse dns entries, my gmail account in in safe list at hotmail.

i would really appreciate if you can help me on this or let me know what could be possible problem.

regards
Quote Reply
Re: [junaid] cannot send mail to hotmail In reply to
Is it somehow making it into the Junk folder? I'll do some testing today when I get into the office to see if it happens to me.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] cannot send mail to hotmail In reply to
No it is not even making into Junk Mail.
thats why i m concerned about it.
regards
Quote Reply
is it the problem due to not running outgoing.pl.
actually i m not using outgoing.pl due to bounce mail issue still it is sending mail to yahoo and other sites, but not hotmail.

if i had to run it than please let me know how can i delete messages that are already in que.

i had tried it today and same problem, hotmail doesnt receive mails.

regards,
Junaid
Quote Reply
Have you sent mail using another client using the same mail server that Gossamer Mail is using to send mail?

I just sent one email from Gossamer Mail and one using pine (and one manually) from the same machine and it's been around 20 minutes and they haven't gone through. On the other hand, I just sent a mail to the hotmail account from another machine and it went through immediately (all email addresses were in the contact list).

I think it looks like hotmail is starting to blacklist certain ip's (the ones that failed, were sent from my home cable).

Adrian
Quote Reply
It may well be the case, but when i sent mail through my pop mail client using same machine, net connection and domain it went through.
does GMAIL sends full headers when it sends mail.
Quote Reply
here is something which may define it.
http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.php?s=abba8f5d97edeacccc0a8729d1304699&threadid=109369&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
my problem is little different and only with gmail.
can you help me.
regards
Quote Reply
That thread does not help much as you did not go into detail what hotmail replied to you with. What did hotmail say?

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Jan 30, 2004, 1:54 PM
Quote Reply
okay, actually i have checked logs after sending a mail to one of associate and it shows this.
i guess it is delivered succesfully.
------------------------
2004-01-30 20:53:58 1Amaxy-0005oD-9b <= adminp@dedicated.ipaki.com U=adminp P=local S=531 2004-01-30 20:54:01 1Amaxy-0005oD-9b => hollyridge@hotmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.167.230] 2004-01-30 20:54:01 1Amaxy-0005oD-9b Completed
-------------------------
after that even i tried sending mail from my default pop account using outlook which Gmail uses and it delivered mail.

as i m able to send mails through my pop accounts, would like to know is it possible to send mail via smtp for gmail.i m on linux
and also would not using outgoing.pl has any thing to do with it.

i am grateful for your help.

Quote Reply
outgoing.pl is only used to send bounces, auto-replies and forwarded accounts. Other mail (ie. Compose => Send), is sent immediately using whatever method the admin has set (sendmail or smtp).

There's one thing I want to clarify with you. Is your Gossamer Mail set up to use a smtp server to send mail (Setup => Outgoing Email => Configuration => SMTP Server or Sendmail Path)? If so, is that the same smtp server that you're using in Outlook?

Adrian
Quote Reply
thanks for your reply.
i m using sendmail, and also i tried to using smtp but it was not verifying it, i guess due to im on unix.
Quote Reply
does this has any thing to do with mail headers.
Quote Reply
may be a problem with hotmail... ? refuse to receive a mail from your ip adress ?