Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

What does hotmail uses??

Quote Reply
What does hotmail uses??
I know Gossamer mail is a great product. But I want to know what other webmail system uses just out of a matter of interest. Would Hotmail be using a completely perl scripts just like Gossamer Mail or would it be a combination of perl and others.
Quote Reply
Re: [iwod] What does hotmail uses?? In reply to
Hotmail use custom code, not a third party script.

They employ some of the top programmers in the world.

As for the programming language or database used, I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] What does hotmail uses?? In reply to
yes, i know they don't use third party scripts, but are they just a normal scripts or would they been like software install on the server??
Quote Reply
Well obviosuly they will need mail servers and databases and things like that so yes they will use front-end and back-end scripts/software.

You are probably talking $000.000's if not $0,000,000's for a system like hotmail.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 12, 2001, 6:38 AM
Quote Reply
They would most likely be using Microsoft products. Although, I believe Microsoft brought Hotmail from another company a few years back, so Hotmail wasn't always ran on Microsoft based products and programming languages.

It was originaly run on a set of free-bsd boxes, before being moved to IIS (which took them a heck of a long time). As a side not, it's very interesting to search on Netcraft for Microsoft. From there you can see what their server set up is. You'll find a lot of development boxes running linux, even some running Mac OS!

As for the programming language Microsoft uses, I'm guessing it's a combination of ASP, connecting up to their SQL databases. They could actually be taking advantage of XML on their site. I think that they have recently moved a lot of their site to XML driven pages in an interesting move. Glad to see the big boys backing this great new technology.

- wil