Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

What does cron actually do?

Quote Reply
What does cron actually do?
Hi

Can someone explain to me exactly what the cron job actually does?

Regards

Stoosh
Quote Reply
Re: [Stoosh] What does cron actually do? In reply to
It's more of a *nix thing. It runs command(s) at a specified interval. In the windows world, it's like the windows scheduler thing.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] What does cron actually do? In reply to
Hi Brewt

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my question. What I wanted to know is what does it run? Why is it run ever two minutes? How does this affect the running of Gossamer Mail?

Regards

Stoosh
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry, I should have been clearer in my question. What I wanted to know is what does it run? Why is it run ever two minutes? How does this affect the running of Gossamer Mail?

A cron job can basically run anything. The cron file can include any number of cron jobs. Each line in the cron file is a different cron job, that can be set to run something at a specific time(s), on a hourly, daily, weekly, monthly etc schedule.

With gossamer mail you're simply adding a new cron job that runs the gossamer mail collection script every two minutes.

You could equally have another cron job that runs a rebuild on your LinkSQL directory once a day at 11.00pm.

Hope that helps?

r
Quote Reply
For Gossamer Mail, it depends on how you have it set up. If you use a catch all (which is how most people use Gossamer Mail), then you'll need incoming.pl to run every x minutes to get the new mail from the catch all account, as well as outgoing.pl to send out bounced messages and such.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] What does cron actually do? In reply to
Thank you all for your help. Smile

Stoosh