Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

What Happens When ????

Quote Reply
What Happens When ????
Hi,

Just ran incoming.pl in verbose mode for about 600 messages and it worked fine but took quite some time.

Now the question is:

What is the tested number of mails delivered thru incoming.pl per minute.

What actually happens when the rate of number of mails landing in catchall account(s) -- Five In Number -- exceeds the rate at which the same can be delivered by incoming.pl to GM accounts.

These are questions for academic interest on the Power Issue of GM...

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] What Happens When ???? In reply to
Hi Anup,

In Reply To:
What is the tested number of mails delivered thru incoming.pl per minute.

This is a difficult question to answer. There are two major factors to consider. First, messages are not identical. One site might have have users receiving html messages with several attachments while another site might be receiving small, plain text messages. Second, it's going to depend on your server hardware. Incoming.pl is going to run a little bit faster on a P4, 2ghz, 2GB ram machine than on a 486/33, 8 MB ram machine.

In Reply To:
What actually happens when the rate of number of mails landing in catchall account(s) -- Five In Number -- exceeds the rate at which the same can be delivered by incoming.pl to GM accounts.

That's when you look into a beefing up your web server or possibly distributing the load over multiple servers.

In Reply To:
These are questions for academic interest on the Power Issue of GM...

I would also like to see some specs of GM running on different servers if GT has it available.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] What Happens When ???? In reply to
Hi Charlie,

To be precise let me put it this way:

Mails have no attachments. Each mail is averaging about 4K. Server is dual cpu 933Mhz, 2gb RAM.

Now with this specified, how many mails per minute can be delivered by incoming.pl It would be interesting to know so that a threshold can be mentally decided when to really start pondering about upgradation issues.

I am sure with so many installations running succesfuly, there would be some stats available on this with GT for sharing...

Thnx

Anup