Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

User told me his mail sent virus

Quote Reply
User told me his mail sent virus
Hello,

I'm not sure if that's possible, but a user has complained me that his account has spread out some virus.

We use the standard GM configuration. I mean catch-all account, mysql and sendmail.

Is that possible? Any answers?

Thanks a lot,

Narcís
Quote Reply
Re: [narcis] User told me his mail sent virus In reply to
Hi,

No, this is not possible, and it's most likely the Klez virus which impersonates the From line (it goes through a users address book and sends copies of itself to people in the address book with the from line set to other people in the address book).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] User told me his mail sent virus In reply to
Hello Alex,

Thanks for you answer. Exactly the virus was klez. So, what do you mean? He recived the virus and itself was sent to all users of his address book? (Sorry I didn't understood your answer at all, I'm from spain and sometimes it is hard to understand somethings Smile)
Quote Reply
Hi,

Klez is very nasty as it opens up the address book, and sends itself to everyone in the address book. However, it also sets the from line to a random person in the address book! For example, let's say Bill becomes infected with the virus, and has an addressbook that looks like:

joe@foo.com
bob@bar.com

The virus will send a message:

To: joe@foo.com

Now when Joe receives the virus, he thinks it came from Bob, but it did not, it came from Bill.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] User told me his mail sent virus In reply to
Oh! Thanks Alex! So when you said the adress book did you mean the address book of Outlook?

So the problem was that someone was infected with that virus and then the virus used the email addresso of that user in the from field, isn't it?

Really thanks for your help Alex!

Narcís
Quote Reply
Yes, exactly.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Quote:
So when you said the adress book did you mean the address book of Outlook?

No wonder I always hated that Outlook and Eudora etc. Long Term damages are more destructive when one tries to avoid logging to mail accounts. Why have multiple accounts anyway?