Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

User Statistics

Quote Reply
User Statistics
Hello:

If there is a place where Gossamer Mail is weak as a product, this place is certainly in the kind of statitics that are not provided. I would have hoped to see a more detailed approcha to user stats.

I also assume that this would be easily doable with a few codes here and there.

What I would like to see is:

1) Under "List All" (Users), further details such as the number of emails in each account.

2) The number of messages would be broken down into two categories: Total Messages, Messages This week and messages today.

3) In fact, right now, there is no way to really know if an account is active or not in Gossamer mail. So, another elements to include here would be: Messages read, and Last Login. Basically, instead of having people "blindly" purge messages, a visualization of inactive account on the List ALL page would be better. So that, i addition to purging according to dates, Admins can also delete individual accounts on the "List all" page".

4) Even worse, there is almost no usage stats beyond one hour. In other words, Admins can see usage stats only to one hour. It would be good, once again, to have usage stats that go beynd one little hour.

On the BUGS front, I see that the number of users is not updating correctly. For instance, if I had 700 users, and deleted 100, my count should normally resume at 601 when a new user registers. But what I see is that Gossamer mail will in fact continue with the count at 701, even if, in reality, there are only 601 users.

Another thing is that I am not sure if the BOUNCE feature is really working well. From the "List All" in the Admin, I tried going in one of the user's email. I saw there that some of the mails were sent, not to the name of the user specifically, but to addresses like "members@ns1.actualserverdomain.net" or Undisclosed.Recipients@ns1.actualserverdomain.net:.

THis is a bit unsettling because the "@ns1.actualserverdomain.net" would be the real server name's domain, and not the virtual domain's account. Secondly, I thought that the bounce feature would not let any message not specifically targetting the user through to an account. In other words, if the TO: is an address other than the address of this user, then it would bounce the message. Is my understanding wrong or is my install totally useless?

JUst my 5 cents, with the hope that guidance can be provided heer as to how to solve these issues.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [Mama] User Statistics In reply to
Thanks for the suggestions. I've implemented some of your suggestions, but some of them will have to wait till the next release.

1) I just added the space usage of their account instead of the number of emails as it's more useful.

2) Alex wants a nicer statistics system, so that is something planned for a future release.

3) User last login column was added to search results.

4) See #2 Smile

In Reply To:
On the BUGS front, ...
I don't see how could happen, as the stats are calculated from doing a COUNT(*) off of the database.

In Reply To:
Another thing is that I am not sure if the BOUNCE feature is really working well. From the "List All" in the Admin, I tried going in one of the user's email. I saw there that some of the mails were sent, not to the name of the user specifically, but to addresses like "members@ns1.actualserverdomain.net" or Undisclosed.Recipients@ns1.actualserverdomain.net:.
I'd have to take a closer look at what was going on there. Do you know which users this was happening to?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] User Statistics In reply to
-------------------
1) I just added the space usage of their account instead of the number of emails as it's more useful.
------------------------------

Where did you add this? In my Gossamer?

Note that if you did so in my Gossamer, then you did it in the wrong area. The area I am talking about is the one that you access from: USERS --> LIST ALL.

Here, I want this table to be a snapshot of each user. Currently, the list shows only User ID, Username, Password, Modify, Email, Delete. I want to add two colums here with one showing Messages Read, Messages Unread and date of last login.

Note that the idea of having messages Read/Unred here is good as it allows an Admin to also see how many messages remain unread, and for how long. For instance, if the read and unread are equal, then this shows that this account is rather active. THis needs to be in complement of the last login date.

-----------------------
2) Alex wants a nicer statistics system, so that is something planned for a future release.
--------------------

I do hope so. because this looks like a good product, but it still needs some important twicking and adjustments.

----------------
3) User last login column was added to search results.
--------------

As I noted in 1) above, I need this in the List All table to have a quick view of all accounts.

If you could even point me to the area of the code that generates this "List All" table, and the codes needed for inserting these I could probly do this myself.

-------------------------
4) See #2 Smile

In Reply To:
On the BUGS front, ...
I don't see how could happen, as the stats are calculated from doing a COUNT(*) off of the database.
-----------------

You are right. I misred something. I was reading the User ID and I was expecting them to adjust automatically to the exact number of users. I now understand that if you deleted 100 users from 500, you would end up with 400 users, but the user IDs will not change and the last user ID would still show 500 even if the users are now only 500. THis means that Gossamer assigns a user ID once and for all, and these do not change no matter what.

THis is not an issue, then.

---------------------
In Reply To:
I'd have to take a closer look at what was going on there. Do you know which users this was happening to?[/reply]
------------------------
Yes, try to get to this user's account: "saire". The pass is still "random_pass".

You will see plenty of "TO"s in there that do not match the address of the user. THis should not be, if I understand Gossamer's intent well.

One last thing. While the date issue was fixed in the User accounts directly, it does not look like it's fixed when the admin accesses a users' account from the Admin panel. For exanple, when you go to the "sarie" account above, from Admin --> Users ---> LIst all --> Email (for sarie@.....net), you will see that the date still shows as 1-00-2002 ( for 1 June 2002), etc.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
-------------------
------------------------------

Where did you add this? In my Gossamer?

Note that if you did so in my Gossamer, then you did it in the wrong area. The area I am talking about is the one that you access from: USERS --> LIST ALL.

I think you'll find brewt has added the feature to the "latest release", not your private installation. Wink

regan.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
You will see plenty of "TO"s in there that do not match the address of the user. THis should not be, if I understand Gossamer's intent well.
If you look closely at the headers of these emails, the email was actually delivered to that user. For example, one email:

Received: from ns1.aaa.net (root@localhost) by bbb.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id g55CeKw16229 for <saire@bbb.net>; Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:40:20 -0400
Received: from aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd (IDENT:qvvvXhTiPdXDgpkVkYavSHvX5MVIFXZp@[aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd]) by ns1.aaa.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) with SMTP id g55CeGX16224 for <saire@bbb.net>; Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:40:16 -0400

In Reply To:
One last thing. While the date issue was fixed in the User accounts directly, it does not look like it's fixed when the admin accesses a users' account from the Admin panel. For exanple, when you go to the "sarie" account above, from Admin --> Users ---> LIst all --> Email (for sarie@.....net), you will see that the date still shows as 1-00-2002 ( for 1 June 2002), etc.
Fixed.

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Jun 7, 2002, 12:47 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] User Statistics In reply to
Yes, I meant the next release (2.1). If you haven't upgraded yet, I'd wait for 2.1.1. There were some other small bugs we found after we released, that we want to get fixed.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Adrian,

I don't think you fixed my date isuse in the Users ---> List All ---> Email area.

The date is, in fact, not showing anymore in this area.

Also, can you tell me what section of the code controls the table that shows the list of users in the Users ---> List All area?

Please give me also the code for showing the number of Messages read and unread in this area. I want to add this.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Last time I checked, you were still using 2.0.6. Quite a few things in the admin have been fixed in 2.1, so I recommend you upgrade to 2.1. I didn't add the number of Messages read and unread to the admin because the way the list is generated makes it really difficult to add.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Is version 2.1 stable enough now?

I saw a number of people listing a few issues in there and I want to be sure not to get stuck in a buggy situation.

Can I safely upgrade now?
Quote Reply
If you're still using 2.0.6, I would probably wait for 2.1.1.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If you're still using 2.0.6, I would probably wait for 2.1.1.

Thank you, man.

That's what I thought.
Quote Reply
Is version 2.1.1 ready yet (and without bugs?)

I am still on 2.0.6 based on your advice.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Hello!

After upgrading the incoming.pl does not work and since about two weeks my users did not have a single email sorted out.

There are about 5000+ messages to be sorted and they accumulate more and more. It dies and have connection problems. Whenever I run manually, it inserts messages but does not delete them. So untill now it has inserted 35 duplicates of the same message.

There is also no utility available to delete the dulpicate inserts in such a situation.

The upgrade has been disappointing. There has been no solution offered as on today.
Quote Reply
No, I think it will be a while (a month or so?) before we get 2.1.1 ready as we're swamped with other work. We don't want to release what we have now as 2.1.1 as there's a few issues we want to get resolved first.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] User Statistics In reply to
Rajani,

If you want help with your problem, you need to send me unedited (except the POP3 password) output from 'incoming.pl -v'. It makes it extremely difficult to help you debug what's going on when you're giving us edited logs! See my profile for my email address.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hello Adrian!

This was anathor problem and it got solved without any change, where you did ask for logs. However, the current problem is not the same and this message relates to the following URL:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=202978
[/url]

The problem is that the mysql socket or the script is being killed due to its use of large ammount of resources of the server. Imagine if there are 5000+ messages, how many minites it needs to sort the messages. For any reason if it gets killed, due to resources or connection problems, then it inserts the message again and again. Thats the problem.

You said that there could be something in the checksum but never informed me if it could be a module version or anything else that needs to be checked or changed.

Last edited by:

rajani: Jul 7, 2002, 3:37 AM