Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

User ./. Username in the field <> Horror

Quote Reply
User ./. Username in the field <> Horror
Hello Alex!

Did you not promise not to make a chaos in the User and Username?

I now have serious problems. I do not understand this at all. This is really no fun. If it is some buggy programming thats different. But simply giving different naming is quite hard to digest.

There is no way to get Links SQL and GMail working togather using the same table. This is really non-sense.

Quote Reply
Re: User ./. Username in the field <> Horror In reply to
Hello!

No answer for this?

Thanks

Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by User <> Username?

However, we are working on a central authentication that will tie all our future products together. This will be available in the near future.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

You lead the group of users who use your developed product. Hence I expect some consistency in the details of them.

Look at the inconsistency in the table fields of the two products below

------------------------
Gmail >>> Table Nightmares_users

Following are the fields that it has created by itself.

userid
user
password
users_status
users_last_login
users_space_used................and so on with

Key name
userunique YES user

-------------------------
Links SQL it creates on its own the following

Links SQL >>> Table Horror_users

Username
Password
Email
Name
Validation
Status.....and so on with

Key name
emailndx YES Email
-----------------------

I distinctly remember that there was an uproar in the forum about the user and username as a field name. There is no reason why it should be used differently in different products. May be you also rember that I could not install GMail 1.1.5 working togather with Links SQL. 1.1.5 did ask which table one wants to use for the Username and password. It did never worked correct because the key names where different or what ever the reason that may be.

However, the message is that there is a lot of liberty taken in terms of format of the database from your side in many versions and upgrades in terms of changing names and fields.

I would very much like that there is some consistancy and harmony that at least I can cope up with. May be all other perl freaks could do so, but not me. I have difficulties in remembering which product has what different fields like her User and ther Username and there in that version it was like that etc.

In Reply To:
However, we are working on a central authentication that will tie all our future products together.
That would be so great!!! This should have come out much before.

Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

This was and is a very much wanted consistency in using the tables across the products of GT as well as W3t.

Quote Reply
Hi,

The internal column names are not important. Now that the forum is almost ready, we will provide modules that will tie all our software together.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.