Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Urgent! Permission denied

Quote Reply
Urgent! Permission denied
Hi support (URGENT)

Help, I keep on getting permission denied when I attempt to install GM.

Why?

Here is the form in which it appears

Unable to write to directory (/home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/admin). Reason: (Permission denied)
Unable to write to directory (/home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/user). Reason: (Permission denied)
Unable to write to directory (/home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/data). Reason: (Permission denied)
Unable to write to directory (/home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/batch). Reason: (Permission denied)
Unable to write to directory (/home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail). Reason: (Permission denied)

And here are the states of install.cgi and install.dat

install.cgi = 755, Owner = ftpuser, Group = ftpgroup
install.dat = 644, Owner = ftpuser, Group = ftpgroup

Why won't it install? How do I correct this problem?

I recently moved to a different server with the same company. Prior to the move everything was just fine but now I can't get the program installed (Not good!)

What is causing this failure? URGENT!

Regards

Stoosh

Last edited by:

Stoosh: Apr 22, 2002, 3:19 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stoosh] Urgent! Permission denied In reply to
On most servers, the webserver runs under a different user/group (usually nobody/nobody). When you access install.cgi from the web, it is run using this user, and so if the permissions aren't set correctly, this user won't be able to write or create the necessary directories. You can fix this problem by setting the permissions to be enough that the web user can write to the directory that you wish to install to. chmod 777 /home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail 777 will do this.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Urgent! Permission denied In reply to
Thank you Adrian,

I don't know what to say, Amazing response Smile

Many, many thanks.

Stoosh
Quote Reply
Hi brewt

I've still not had any luck getting GM to install Unsure its becoming a bit of a nightmare. On one server it was running fine then I upgraded and now I cannot get it back up and running. I need help and as many ideas I can get please.

Stoosh.
Quote Reply
What's the error you're getting?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi

We've managed to get GM onto the server however it is still not working fully. I am getting this:

Can't create lockfile /home/name/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/data/tmp/incomi
ng.lock: incoming.lock (Permission denied)

when running incoming.pl from SSH.

Is there a server setting that can be changed to allow things to happen. I'm always getting permission denied when ever things are being created?

Has my hosting company not set the server up properly?

Is there something I can tell them to change in order to prevent all these permission denied statements from popping up?

When I installed GM on another server GM found all the paths. On this one it did not, I had to put them in manually. Why would this be?

I'm just trying to give you the symtoms so that I can get this sorted out.

Please give me as many options as possible.

Regards

Stoosh

Last edited by:

Stoosh: Apr 28, 2002, 5:03 PM
Quote Reply
It's all about understanding how permissions work. If you don't understand the concept of unix permissions, do a search on google (http://www.google.ca/...&hl=en&meta=). What's happening on this server is that the server runs gmail as one user (eg. nobody). This means when you perform the install from the web, all the files and directories it creates belongs to this user. When you login through SSH/telnet, you might not have enough permissions to write to gmail directories/files because you're not nobody (who owns those files).

To fix the problem below, you'll want to change the permissions of /home/name/public_html/cgi-bin/webmail/data/tmp so that you have enough permissions to write to that directory. You'll be able to do this using FileMan.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi!

I remembered that this happened to me many many times. So this is a typical
777 problem as described above. But if you have a root access and those directories were created by different users then may be there could be a connflict.

Try out anathor command which is a bit different than chmod.

chown user.group directory

OR

chown user.group *

This changes the ownership of a directory or a file to the specified name.

For e.g. if the owner of the scripts and directories is nobody and if the directory it is trying to create does not allow because it belongs to the a normal user , then this may be, may be, may be a reason.

Though this is just an idea, the perl freaks and unix master may think
such a condition could never happen. So I could be wrong.

By giving the command

dir

OR

ls

it will show you the ownerships and related conflicts.

Last edited by:

rajani: Apr 29, 2002, 11:40 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Urgent! Permission denied In reply to
Thank you for all of your replies, I'm making headway on this issue now.

Regards

Stoosh