Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Understanding .def files

Quote Reply
Understanding .def files
Hi,

Just for fun I've been trying to figure out how exactly the def files work and how they're created.

There's one thing that's really confusing me (on top of all the other things) - I can't find anywhere where the options for columns like form_display are saved, accept for inside the actual def files themselves. I have seen that there's a standard set hard coded into the perl, but what about the state of custom colums and stuff? It must pull these values from somewhere when you do a resync?

Anyone know?

R.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Understanding .def files In reply to
See admin/GMail/Admin/Setup.pm...
FYI, for most of the other GT products, this would be in admin/prod_name/SQL.pm

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Understanding .def files In reply to
Hi,

Also, when you do a resync, it does not overwrite information that it can't get from the database (like form display, form type, etc).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Understanding .def files In reply to
In Reply To:
when you do a resync, it does not overwrite information that it can't get from the database (like form display, form type, etc).

Hi Alex,

I think you just answered my question.

I was wondering where it was pulling the extra information from like display etc, if it overwrites the def file completely - but you saying it doesn't makes sense now.

So the way I understand it is the only place that information is stored is in the def files themselves. During a resync it combines the existing db structure with the old .def (extra) info and wallah! - new.def ?

Pretty clever stuff.

R.