Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

UBB integration

Quote Reply
UBB integration
I know the plugins to "integrate" GM and UBB/vBulletin exist, but is there not a way for people to sign up for UBB and GM from the same form? Wouldn't that be the most convenient? Thanks for any info.

Quote Reply
Re: UBB integration In reply to
Edit the account creation forms to look like other GM web pages -OR- edit it more generically so that it matches the rest of your site.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hmm... either I don't understand what you're saying or I wasn't clear :)

I mean to fill out ONE form, and both accounts would be created at the same time. I suppose that would require the form posting to two different CGI programs, which may or may not be possible (I don't know, do you?).

What I'm really trying to do here is figure out how to either integrate GM with an account manager, or make GM an account manager in itself. i.e. If they change their profile to include their credit card information, it will automagically give them access to a certain resource on the server. Hopefully this isn't too far fetched, because EliteHost's Account Manager just isn't cutting it (user's can't edit their own profiles, among other things, which puts a huge load on the our end).
Quote Reply
The way that the various "Forum" (VBulletin, UBB, etc.) plugins work is that there user registers through the "Forum" account creation script, and then the user can access scripts in both GM and the Forum.

Basically, it is using ONE form to register the account. SO, what I am suggesting is that you EDIT the UBB account creation form to something generic that matches your web site -OR- if you want it to match elements of the UBB and GM, then add elements from both in the template pages...or the script...don't know if UBB has moved to templates or not.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Ok... well the way I see it is it's still a 2-step process to sign up even with the plugin... i.e. they still have to tell the forum to register their email account after signing up for the forum. Or maybe that's just because I already had an account on this forum before signing up for the email?

I'll do another thread for the other question. Thanks for your help.

Quote Reply
Hi,

If you use the Auth_UBB plugin (which is under testing right now, should be available shortly), then all user signup is handled by UBB. Then when a user clicks on webmail for the first time, they pick their email address they want, and go straight to their inbox. From then on, they can move seamlessly through ubb and the email program.

You may also want to suggest to EliteHost that they consider replacing their email with Gossamer Mail. We have done several ISP deals to bundle it into control panels.

Hope that helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.