Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Trash/Quota Problems - Important

Quote Reply
Trash/Quota Problems - Important
We're having problems where people are complaining about not receiving mail, and sure enough they aren't...

The reason is that their quota is full/exceeded - all from what they have in their trash.

When the quota is full messages simply bounce. As far as I can see, the user isn't warned that they are at or beyond quota.

Issues:

1. Not being warned causes the user to wonder why he/she isn't receiving mail
2. Bounced messages don't appear to tell the sender that the reason for the bounce is "mailbox full" (I haven't checked to see if this is a template issue).
3. The Purge Messages feature does NOT appear to be working. I can conduct a search on messages from date XYZ that are in the Trash folder and initiate a purge. The purge progress window appears but does nothing. The messages do not end up getting purged.

These are large issues on our site. We already have 50,000+ messages sitting in trash gathering space... We are unable to purge them and our users do not know that they are jeopardizing their ability to receive mail.

Help!

Quote Reply
Re: Trash/Quota Problems - Important In reply to
I played around with this a little. I found that if a user has used more space than allowed he/she will get a warning message at login but they only get that message once. When I log out and back in it doesn't continue to warn me. I was able to purge the user messages from the admin though. The messages do go away but the folder info is not updated. My folders view shows that I still have messages in my inbox (or what erver folder) and it reports the size of the folder but the e-mails are gone.

Regards,
Charlie

Quote Reply
Re: Trash/Quota Problems - Important In reply to
Hi,

1. The user should get a warning when they log in if their mailbox is full. This is only displayed once though as piper mentioned.

2. In 2.0.1 you can add a <%reason%> tag to the bounce which will say the mailbox was full.

3. I'll look into this asap.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Purge Messages - update In reply to
3. Purge messages works SOMETIMES - but apparently not when there are a high number (900+ ?) messages involved.

I can do message purges in very small batches - the greatest number that I have been able to purge at once has been appx. 960. When purging is WORKING the screen that says "Purge X messages? Yes No" simply 'works' until the purge is done, and finishes with the search screen indicating that the purge has completed.

With more messages to purge at once (some number greater than 960 but less than 1600) a small window opens with a status bar that simply sticks and the purge never completes.

We've got appx. 73,000 messages to purge. As long as TRASH space counts against quota we need to be able to perform this purge.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Purge Messages - update In reply to
Hi,

If you can hang on, we will have 2.0.2 out tonight or tommorrow and it fixes a template bug that prevents purging more then 1,000 messages at once.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Purge Messages - update In reply to
I think I can hold on!

hehe

Thanks,
Adam

Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Trash/Quota Problems - Important In reply to
The user really needs to see this EVERY time they login. Once is not enough! (Isn't that famous quote or something?

How can we fix this on our install? This seems really important.

Thanks!

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
Re: [diversity] Trash/Quota Problems - Important In reply to
A quick fix would be to edit login.cgi and change:

if ($percent >= $CFG->{email}->{notice} and not $USER->{opts}->{noticed}) {

to:

if ($percent >= $CFG->{email}->{notice}) {

and then every login the user will be notified if they are over the percent limit.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Beautiful. It works wonderfully.

Thanks so much for the fastest reply I have ever received.Smile

Diversity by Design
Quote Reply
how about if we take this one step further... what if I want to put something like:
% Quota Used: 22.5%
underneath the search box so it pretty much appears everywhere... I know that parts easy, I just put
% Quota Used: <%users_percent_used%>% wherever I want it to appear. But... how would I set it up so that if they are using less than the
$CFG->{email}->{notice}
amount, then the font is black and if they are over it, then make the font red so it stands out? Can CFG variables be brought into the templates somehow?
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
A quick fix would be to edit login.cgi and change:

if ($percent >= $CFG->{email}->{notice} and not $USER->{opts}->{noticed}) {

to:

if ($percent >= $CFG->{email}->{notice}) {

and then every login the user will be notified if they are over the percent limit.

Cheers,

Alex

This is a good one Alex - any chance of making this a permanent in the next release? I don't think one notice is enough, people need to be reminded every time. Perhaps also build in a tag that tells the user how many % their mailbox is full as a standard issue.

Cheers,

Regan.
Quote Reply
also, just a quick fyi - the text of the message in notice.htm should be changed... they aren't being redirected to the login but to the welcome page...
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

In 2.1.0a I still find the older version (of notice displayed once)....

Do I need to change the code to the suggested one? Or is it already implemented? The login.cgi that i have has following version details

login.cgi,v 1.28 2002/05/22

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Trash/Quota Problems - Important In reply to
It still only displays once, but I've updated the templates in 2.1 to display a message on the home page that warns the user that their mailbox is xx% full when it's greater than 95% full.

Adrian