Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

To CC And BCC Duplicate Check?

Quote Reply
To CC And BCC Duplicate Check?
Hi,

Extrenal Mail Accounts if the user types in same address in To, CC and BCC, then as many copies are delivered to the same user.

How to get over this duplicate copies of the mail being delivered in case the sender types in same address in To, CC and BCC...

TIA
Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] To CC And BCC Duplicate Check? In reply to
You don't. It's like any other mail client out there. If you put an email address in more than one of the fields, then it will be delivered to that user multiple times.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] To CC And BCC Duplicate Check? In reply to
Hi.

I tried sending a mail from GM account to Self (ie the GM account owner) with Same recepient in To and CC. However, unlike other mail client, it just delivered one copy of the mail.

Repeated The Same From One GM to Another GM user and found that only a single copy is there in recepient account. So GM indeed behaves differently from *Other Mail Clients* (and rightly so) when it's a GM user to GM user communication.

Problem is if some NON-GM user puts in Same in To CC etc, and addresses to a GM user, the GM user gets multiple copies of the same mail.

Can this be rectified?

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi.

Tried same with GM-->Yahoo
Only one copy delivered (same To, CC And BCC).

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
It all depends on the email being sent. With a catchall setup, duplicate emails - to Gossamer Mail, duplicate emails are emails which have the same headers (sort of) - will not be delivered during each run of incoming.pl. So when you're sending mail to yourself from Gossamer Mail with To as well as Cc, two emails will get sent to the mail server. However, depending on your mail server, you the headers of the email may be different. If they are, you will get two copies. If they're the same, then you'll only get one.

It isn't normal behaviour to only deliver one of the emails, but this behaviour is a side effect of having to support mail servers that do not add a Delivered-To (or equivalent) header.

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Jul 21, 2004, 3:32 PM
Quote Reply
OK. Under a similar scenario,
Hotmail sends out one copy only,
rediffmail displays error at send stage
Error!
the email address user@somedomain.com appears more than once in your recipients list

GM sends out one copy only

Yahoo on the other hand sends out Three Mails under different Message ID and there is no check on the recepient list duplicacy.
Spammer's Paradise Perhaps. Else why and how could Yahoo Do This :/

Anup
Quote Reply
Quote:
Yahoo on the other hand sends out Three Mails under different Message ID and there is no check on the recepient list duplicacy.
Spammer's Paradise Perhaps. Else why and how could Yahoo Do This :/

I actually use this quite often with Yahoo mail when I'm on the road. In my main mail client I track my jobs in mails folders like so: Client/Project1 and Client/Project2. Sometimes I'll get a single message from a client regarding two different projects. Since I keep all my replies to a specific project in the project folder I'll reply and put my address in the CC: field. When I get back home all I have to do is move the messages in my yahoo sent folder to my inbox and download. I have two copies waiting for me in my inbox. Sure there are other ways to do that but this way works for me.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] To CC And BCC Duplicate Check? In reply to
Hi

Quote:
When I get back home all I have to do is move the messages in my yahoo sent folder to my inbox and download. I have two copies waiting for me in my inbox. Sure there are other ways to do that but this way works for me.

Not too sure about "Gmail (Google Mail's) Feature" Which Can Keep a Communication In Different Folders Even With A Single Copy. Not too sure as i do not have a Gmail account but i had read about it on one of the forums(can't recall).

That possibly brings to another "Plugin" a "CopyMessage" Plugin which can have same Message Linked to fom Different Folders. Not very sure about the utility as yahoo is the only one which does not check for duplicacy of the recepient list (from amongst Yahoo/Hotmail/rediffmail/.. and Of course GossamerMail) and sends out as many copies to the same user...

Thanks
Anup