Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Time issue...

Quote Reply
Time issue...
Greetings,

I tried to do a search on this, but it seems like every ticket comes up.

When a user is looking at their mail now, it shows the time
almost right. The hour shows up 6 hours off. I did pick
the correct offset city. My time on the server is correct on
both the sending server and the server that is picking the mail up.

I sent an email to myself from the server and the time is also
not correct. Has anyone else had this issue?

Avery

Quote Reply
Re: [avery] Time issue... In reply to
Yes, I have the same problem, and I've sent a notice to GT's support while ago, but they just fixed small message view bug. Maybe they closed the ticked and my second email didn't get there.

I believe their logic of calculating the actual message time is not quite right. All my emails are 3 hours off. I temporarily selected a time zone 3 hours after my time zone to get the correct time displayed. Of course, this is not a solution, but works for now.

I also asked for a feature which is "a must" for a webmail software - every user should be able to select his/her time zone or even easier - time offset from the server and I think Alex put it on the GM's future features list.

rgrdz,
.\\ike
Quote Reply
Hi,

We've found the fix for this. If you change admin/GMail/Messages.pm around line 550, change:

my $gmtime = timegm(@localtime);

to:

my $gmtime = timelocal(@localtime);

It should work correctly. We will update this and make it a user option in the next release.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Time issue... In reply to
Alex,

Thank you, it seemed to work on the view page for message. Inside the message however that doesn't seem to be the case. Its still about 6 hours off for me.

Thank you again,

Avery

Quote Reply
Hi,

Can you edit Messages.pm again and around line 504, right before

# Get our select lists and return our TPL arguments

add:

$self->format_msgs_row($msg);

We are working on an update with a new template set and all these fixes.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Everything looks great now Alex, thanks for all your help.

Avery

Quote Reply
It didn't work out for me. I still had 3 hours but now plus.
I've changed the sign plus to minus here:
Code:
if (defined $CFG->{date_offset}) {
my $offset;
($offset, undef) = split /\|/ => $CFG->{date_offset};
my $gmtime = timelocal(@localtime);
$time = $gmtime - ($offset * 60);
}
.. and it worked, but for my localtime. If I change the date_offset to New York for example, it is giving me wrong time again. Maybe because Sofia (+3 GMT) and New York(-4 GMT) are on different sides of GMT?

Do you guys include in your calculations the time offset after date/time in the email header?

This should be something very simple.. I'll try to find were the problem may be.. Unsure

rgrdz,
.\\ike
Quote Reply
I'm not able to edit this file due to the installation. It won't allow me to write to the file due to ownership not being myself. I went into the FILEMAN program thinking this might work, but no luck and I'm not able to change the CHMOD either.

Should I just wait for an update?

I'm sure I could get this done in a shell account but, I don't want to mess anything up.

John
Quote Reply
hi!

it was working for me as well:

but if i reply to that message - the message is
quoted with still the wrong time.

any help?

thanks

chris
Quote Reply
Re: [steger] Time issue... In reply to
Like most mail clients, when Gossamer Mail quotes a message you reply/forward, it will include whatever date that was originally in the header of the email, not a converted one.

So like if the mail was sent from -0800 (PST) timezone, then when you recieve it, that's what the time will be set as in the mail headers. When you reply to the email, it will quote that same time, even if you're in some other timezone.

Adrian