Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Simple question (and congrats)

Quote Reply
Simple question (and congrats)
Alex,

First of all, congratulations on the new site and the launch of the new products. Best of luck with both.

Now, one question that shouldn't tax you too much - from the spiel on the site about Gossamer Mail, I get the impression that it's a catch-all alias product, but am I right? If so, what do you use for storage? If not, are we talking about setting up scripts to create POP/IMAP accounts?

A pity I'm still a poor developer and not able to afford it, but soon... soon... :)

Regards,
adam

Quote Reply
Re: Simple question (and congrats) In reply to
Hi Adam,

Good question, we are still working on the Gossamer Mail page, but until then:

The program can integrate with the mail in a number of ways:

1. All mail @youraddress.com goes to a catch all account. There is a script that will check this every couple minutes and insert the mail for the proper person.

2. Each username/password is for an existing pop/imap account. When a user logs on it goes out and pulls in the mail from that pop account. There are hooks where you can add whatever code neccessary in order to auto create/delete pop accounts, but it is not included (as this is very system dependant). We can of course help in auto creation/deletion of pops on your system. This method is useful if you want to give people email that they can also check from home.

3. You can route mail directly into the program. This is fairly easy to setup on either sendmail or qmail.

However, the mail is actually stored in the system, it does not leave mail in a pop account.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Sounds very cool Alex. Still curious as to what you're using for storage though. Flatfile would seem a little messy, although I've seen it done before. MySQL?

I have a wee list of webmail apps around somewhere actually, that I compiled an age ago. Want me to dig it out?

adam

Quote Reply
Ah, flat-file? Good lord no. =) Meta information like headers, subject, dates, etc are stored in the database (sql), and the actual message body + attachments are stored on disk.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Groovy. I'm working on something similar (although not all that similar when you get right down to it) myself in PHP at the moment, but I promise to pass the Perl people onto you. If it's up to the usual GT standard of course! :)

And I have yourself and all the Perl hackers on the GT forums to thank for "training me up" on web programming, so Cheers Mate! If I ever get to Canada, I'll be sure to drop in and buy you a pint (or equivalent).

Good luck!

adam