Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Returned Mail going to Root

Quote Reply
Returned Mail going to Root
Hi,

I'm having some problems with returned mail coming back to root instead of being returned to the user who sent it.

For example, if the user sends an email to an address that doesn't exist, it seems to be bouncing back to root instead of being bounced back to them.

Is this something that can be fixed?

Cheers,
Regan.

Quote Reply
Re: Returned Mail going to Root In reply to
I am having this same issue, did you happen to get an answer to this question?

If not let me restate the error: When a user sends a message to (example) lksajdflajdsflk@hotmail.com
That email is not returned to the user, it is returned to the root; not the user who sent the message.

I suspect this has something to do with the way sendmail actually sends out the message.

Thank you,

Avery

Quote Reply
Hi Avery,

Nope, no answer or hint as to what might be going wrong.

:(

Cheers,
Regan.

Quote Reply
Hi,

On outgoing messages, what does 'Return-Path' header get set to? (View the headers of a message). Try switching from sendmail to smtp and see if it is different?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
How do you "switch" from sendmail to smtp? I am running Redhat 7 and I am not familiar with this term.

Thank you,

Avery

Quote Reply
Hi,

This can be accomplished by going to Setup->Outgoing Email and remove /usr/sbin/sendmail, and in the SMTP server, put your domain name. On 90% of the systems this will work fine, but you may run into problems.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
The reason I ask, is I am running into some issues with sendmail. It says relay control is enabled, but whenever I try to send mail from my workstation (which is not hooked up to my server location) it allows me to relay through the smtp server. Should it be doing this? I thought relay control made it to where some spammer can't just relay through my machine without express permissions.

Alex, I know this isn't under your realm of support; but I ask because you seem like an expert on this whole issue.

Thank you for being great!

Avery

Quote Reply
Hi,

Most sendmail configurations come with "roaming" enabled. This means if you've authenticated off a valid pop account, then the IP that authenticated is allowed to send mail via SMTP for x hours.

Also, normally local domains are allowed to send through sendmail.

To check, try connecting via a separate ISP, and try sending a message (before checking any mail).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Do you happen to know how to shut of roaming? My machine isn't used for out going mail at all. (other than the machine itself.)

Alex, I just want to let you know that I do not believe I have seen this high of quality support anywhere on the net. Thank you.

Avery

Quote Reply
Hi,

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.27

Should give you a good start!

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I did check that out, but it doesn't seem like there is a direct file or portion of a file that just shuts off roaming. This could end up being an issue with the POP upgrade. When I log into the POP server for GM it then allows me to roam.

Could this be patched in the POP server itself? When I get a solution on how to shut roaming off on the server itself I will post it. I don't know what a solution whould be for someone who doesn't have their own server. I am sure the ISP takes care of it.

Thank you,

Avery

Quote Reply

Hello!

My ISP allows roaming acess for 15 min. So its possible to give values in MIn and sec.

Then for e.g. is you gave 0.0.0 or 0.0.01 then it should help.
Quote Reply
To be more clear.

After authentication of POP, it cghecks the IP, saves, and allows fruther for 15 min. to use the sendmail.
Quote Reply
Hello Regan!

Ah! This seems similar to the bug I spotted out months ago.

Check the solution I did to solve it. I had bounced emails coming to the root and I found a bug and also had the solution.

After this Alex brought heavy changes and made this area "Robust" and I think he did it in 2.0.1, though not sure.

The problem is *.eml file. I have mentioned it in there, the solution. If you still have problem and cannot understand my language, and if my solution helps, tell me and I shall explain.

The message I posted had the title

QMAILINJECT

and then I found Gmail not correctly used the environment variables to send email. Alex quickly changed and brought something excellent.