Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

pop3 question

Quote Reply
pop3 question
Hi,
I have one problem with the use of individual account. Our provider uses one server for several domains and so when we logon for email-checking (iMail from Ipswitch) we have to use the fullname@domain.com as a username. I guess that is the reason why I cannot get any eMails from the account when I have the userID fullname. I can neither get the individual nor the shared version to run. Any help is appreciated.

Niko

http://www.master-productions.com
Quote Reply
Re: pop3 question In reply to
You will have problems with the individual mode. However, the shared mode should be fine. Just set the pop userid to 'fullname@domain.com' as the username and password as normal.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Is it possible to run incoming.pl or maint.pl without telnet. I donīt have telnet access and when I call it from the browser I get an software error.

Thanks

Niko

Quote Reply
incoming.pl is something that must be run every couple of minutes automatically. You should ask your ISP to set this up for you in crond.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
the incoming.pl script is what actually 'delivers' the mail to the various users. Many ISP's batch the mail, and AOL varies from almost immediate send, to 15 minutes (occasionally more) delay. This is why your ISP may tell you that mail sent to you is not immediately available, even if the site that sent it to you tells you it was already sent (you've seen this, and maybe hit this).

Ok, so much for the background.

How often you run the incoming.pl script will be the 'delay' in delivering the mail you add to your ISP's delay in delivering the mail your main catchall account.

If you have a light-load on your system, and you want to give your users speedy performance, you could probably run the incoming.pl script every 2-5 minutes without doing much damage.

But, if you are running a heavy loaded server, with a lot of mail activity, it's probably better to extend that to at least 10-15 minutes to give the program more running time before restarting.

Think about driving -- and hitting a stoplight that turns red too fast for the amount of traffic waiting in the turn lane. Things back up really fast, but if the light stayed green for only a few more seconds, more cars would have been able to go through without the 'start up' penalty. Make sense?

If you have a lot of mail coming into the system, it's better to run a program _less_ frequently, but for longer periods, than it is to start/stop it very often. It's possible if you were running the script too often on a heavily loaded system, you'd start running multiple instances of the script, and slowing things down more......

Now, I'm sure Alex can give more details on this, and maybe I'm completely off base with how Gossamer Mail is working (I'm still working to understand it), but the assumptions above work for standard mail delivery and cron jobs, so it should apply to GossMail as well.

I'm hoping to dive deeper into this once the new release of Links SQL comes out, since my goal will be to work on getting all the programs (and a few others) to work together with the same user base, user data, etc across the site (or even multiple related sites). Until such time, I'm sill in almost as much of a fog as everyone else on getting this program up, running, fine-tuned, and humming like well oiled machine :)

But, I would like the ability of a shared user registration across a network of linked sites, access to mail, links, ratings, shopping, preferences, etc.

I want to offer user convenience accross related offerings (either from the same parent company, or from an affiliated network of sites) that let the user remember one password and have one centrally updated "profile" but allow them to wander through the 'network' as a recognized user. This gives the webmaster (and the user) many benefits -- such as higher-status, better targeting, targeted discounts, etc.

I know this will apply to "adult" sites (they are already chomping at the bits for this) but it will also help targeted links sites, catalog sites, and others that want to share traffic, create partnerships, and forge alliances to compete with the 'big guys.'

Nothing prevents a user from registering separately on each site, but they have the option of registering once, and using the same shared registry.

A business can set up their own shared registry for all their sites, or a 3rd party can set up a shared registry for member sites. That way no one site has control over the data, or unfair use of it.

Cool... huh?? :)

a mini-Amazon.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Thank you very much for your information. Let him who has understandig... anyway I am working on understanding those wonderful scripts either but I think I am miles away.
One more question about the pop-access:
It should be possible to access the individual mail - accounts if I put the @host.com somewhere in the script so that every time a user logs on with his username the script sends username@host.com or am I wrong?

Thanks

Niko