Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

email names

Quote Reply
email names
sorry this is abit off topic but i thought i would make use of the great expertise availbale.

question: is it possible to create a pop3 email account with more than 8 characters on a linux/unix system. ie. steve.jones@domian.com without using an alias.

why you ask, because i want to offer an email service that allows pop3 and webmail access, this needs to be autoamtic account creation and alias will be differcult.. wouldn't it?

any ideas

Quote Reply
Re: email names In reply to
Hi,

Yes it's definately possible. You may be interested in our Gossamer Mail "Pro" which includes a fully configured/setup version of qmail and auto creation/deletion of pop boxes. Also, pop boxes are not tied to unix users and the authentication is stored in a mysql database for very fast lookups. Cost is $900 US which includes a Gossamer Mail license (or $450 US if you already own Gossamer Mail).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello, were have u been hiding this product, this is exactly what i what but with multi domian support. I take it this pro version will be with the next version?
Were can i find more information on this pro version?
Quick hurry up with next version :)

Quote Reply
Hi,

The pro version is the same Gossamer Mail you have now, but we also install and setup:

qmail - high performance mail server, same server used on Hotmail, Yahoomail and more.

vpopmail - pop boxes are not tied to unix users, and are designed to support a high volume of accounts.

mysql support - looking up username/passwords is done through mysql, making pop access a lot quicker.

integration with gossamer mail - every time an account is created, a pop box is automatically setup, every time it's deleted, a pop box is removed. Even changing passwords automatically updates the pop box.

System requirements are a dedidcated server, and root access to that server. We recommend Gossamer Mail be the only thing on the server, as we will have to replace your mail server.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi, thanks for info. One point, with this set up i could in theory have Gmail pro set up to allow web mail for one domain but still allow pop3 accounts on multiple domains, and when the next version of Gmail comes out upgrade and allow webmail for all existing and new mail account on existing multiple domains.
Is this possible?