Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

User mail sent to invalid addresses

Quote Reply
User mail sent to invalid addresses
I am using the catchall method. If one of our users sends an email to a invalid account at say yahoo.com it sends back an email from MAILER-DAEMON@mydomain.com to nobody@mydomain.com which I have aliased to a POP3 account so I find out it did not make it to its destination but the sender does not. Is there a way so that the sender can find out his or her email did not make it to its intended recipient when using the catchall method?

Quote Reply
Re: User mail sent to invalid addresses In reply to
This is a general bounce mail problem. I'm trying to solve it for other mailings, but if GT has a script in the works that will read a bounce-mail file, and generate a list of the bad mailings (recipient) and deliver the bounce back to the originating email (not the Mailer-Daemon or Postmaster) it would be great!

Something along the line of incoming.pl but to deal with bounced mail.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
Gossamer Mail does not bounce any messages. We are looking at implementing this in the next version, however when you start dealing with automatically sending mail upon receiving mail, you have to watch out for mail loops.

Since Gossamer Mail typically does not run at the same level as a mail server, it does not have as much information as a mail server, so it is much more difficult to determine if it's in a mail loop.

There isn't an easy answer to your question, except to switch to using pop boxs, and have you mail server handle the bouncing.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks for the feedback. It would certainly be cool if when using the catchall method, we could specify in the config a separate POP3 for all bounced messages. We could then setup sendmail to send all bounced messages to the specified POP3 where incoming.pl could be modified to also look at the specified POP3 for bounced messages so that it can return any found to the appropriate sender. I have no idea if this is possible from a programming perspective but if possible it would seem to solve the problem without causing any looping.