Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Sending HTML email not working?

Quote Reply
Sending HTML email not working?
I'm not sure if I have something misconfigured on my server. I am unable to send messages in HTML format. All HTML formatted mail sent from GMail 2.0 is converted to plain text. I'm not sure if this is happening on the client, the receiving server or the sending server. I have tried both the sendmail and SMPT options on the GMail server with the same results for each.

Here's the message header in case it helps:
Received: from localhost (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by mail2.chaosunlimited.com with SMTP (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service Version 5.5.2653.13)
id NMTB84A8; Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:33:12 -0400
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:31:24 -0400
Subject: testing html
To: saki@pickypeople.com
Cc: drew@adultdvdtalk.com
Content-Type: multipart/related; type="multipart/alternative"; boundary="---------=_993177084-1799-211179788"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
Message-Id: <GMail.993177084.17991848.09787971066@mail2.chaosunlimited.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Reply-To: DrewBlack@pickypeople.com

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

-----------=_993177084-1799-211179788
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="---------=_993177084-1799-258298637"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
-----------=_993177084-1799-258298637
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

-----------=_993177084-1799-258298637
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

-----------=_993177084-1799-258298637--

-----------=_993177084-1799-211179788--

(I edited the IP above)

Quote Reply
Re: Sending HTML email not working? In reply to
Hi,

No, this is normal. Like Outlook, Gossamer Mail will attach a text part to any outgoing html messages so that people who can't view html mail, will be able to view the text version ok. People who do have html mail enabled, will see the html message normally.

You can see in your sample that there is a text/plain and a text/html part (both are empty? I assume your message was empty?)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Sending HTML email not working? In reply to
I think there is something wrong. I do have Outlook configured to view HTML mail. Since what I am finding is not the type of behavior I would expect so I did another test:

1. Send HTML email from Outlook client to both a GMail and Outlook Express clients at different domains and mail servers. Email is visible as HTML in both Outlook Express and GMail.

2. Reply to the email from both clients (Outlook Express and Gmail). Response from Outlook Express is HTML when viewed with Outlook. Response from GMail is now plain text. (I did remember to select the Send as HTML box.)

I can post the message headers for all of the test mail here if you would like.

Here's another request/suggestion: Have the Send as HTML checkbox automatically set/not set on replies and forwards based on content of original message.

Thanks for your help.
Send HTML mail

Quote Reply
Re: [DrewBlack] Sending HTML email not working? In reply to
Hello Drew,

This is a classic case where the HTML formats has been blocked from the server end, to protect malicious virus attack to the corporate network from the HTML format messages.

The header information that you have provided would not provide any hnit or clue about why the HTML messages are not being sent or being received.

It would be more helpful if you could provide us with a NDR ( non-delivery report ) with the help of which we could analyse.

Thanks

Raj
Quote Reply
Re: [roburlove] Sending HTML email not working? In reply to
This isn't a GMail question, but has to do with the problem in this thread. If you want to boot or move this feel free.

I'm beta-testing a new GT script called GList, a mail list manager. I'm want to use it as a mail forwarder...I send mail from my desktop to an address monitored by GList, and the message is forwarded to an indicated mail list maintained by GList.

When sending HTML messages through the above schema, the messages return back to my desktop client (Outlook 2000) lobotimized by my corporate Exchange server. Unfortunately, my employer is far too big to listen or even help research the 'bad code' in the email that Exchange is freaking out on. I think I've frustrated the GT staff with this issue and am looking for anyone to assist.

Basically GList parses a mail message from me and rebuilds it under GList's rules and sends it out to a mail list. The originating mail is set as HTML and under other circumstances (to myself or others in the network) goes through Exchange without a problem. My messages come back from GList as a multi-part MIME message...I know that Outlook supports this message type (I can read the message fine with Outlook at home). My thought that Exchange is blocking multi-part messages (instead of straight HTML messages), but GT says I'm sending multi-part messages to GList (which resend a multi-part message on). Is there any way to see the code of a message I send? Any one know how to troubleshoot this stuff? HELP!

Thanks for any assistance!

Dave

Error message:

This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set. [With an attachment, attached here]