Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Permission Denied on Install

Quote Reply
Permission Denied on Install
I had to switch hosts in order to accomodate the cron jobs, so I'm doing a fresh install of the latest version script 2.0.2, but I'm getting denied...

I uploaded the cgi and dat files and ran the cgi script, left the default info the same, and tried to install only to have it tell me:

Could not make directory (/admin). Reason: Permission denied
Could not make directory (/user). Reason: Permission denied
Could not make directory (/images). Reason: Permission denied
Could not make directory (/data). Reason: Permission denied
Could not make directory (/batch). Reason: Permission denied

The file is in the cgi-bin folder which is CHMOD 755...can anyone think of something I'm overlooking here?

Thanks for any info

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
Re: Permission Denied on Install In reply to
Did you try creating the directories manually? (just to see if you can indeed create them).

Adrian
Quote Reply
I think that you must chmod 777 the dir of install.cgi

Quote Reply
Hello!

Because most likely it runs under user=nobody!!! So even if you try to create a directory as suggested above, you may but not through the scriptSmile

I used the following instructions as included in the Readme and it worked fine:

-----------------
2. FTP in ASCII mode the install.cgi script to your cgi-bin directory
on your webserver. Set the permissions of this file to 755 (rwxr-xr-x)
if on a unix system.
------------------

By changing to 777 as suggested above it did not work.

Further, your best bet would be that you run under cgi-wrap under your own name ID and that will either work or tell you the problem. For more info you can use cgi-wrapd (d=demon or details???).

Alex has said "PERFECT", that you need 755!!! All others did not work. I had it!!!

I think that above will help.

Quote Reply
Thanks for all the input, but still no luck...before I switched servers, it installed without any problems, just had a problem with the catch-all account, but that was fixed as well. With this new server, I've been able to use other scripts without any problem until now. I have several other scripts running now, and I've tried creating the directories manually without problem, but the install script didn't recognize them as being their.

I've FTP'd the script again in ascii, CHMOD 755, run the script through the browser, but still get the same results. I'm by no means a perl expert, so I'm not sure what you mean by running under cgi-wrap rajani...sorry.

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
Hi,

If possible, can you send me telnet/ssh access and I can take a look.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello!

Many cgi from Alex did not work on its own, in the manner I wished it should too. It always gave me headaches and my provider too due to permissions. Its been years now and I also know how to handle accounts, not only for me but for others as webmaster too.

May be there are some modules that it needs for unpacking and more installations...God knows.

Well, thats your choice of not doing it the way I said. Easyiest is help from Alex! The nicest thing you can get.

However, I still post a URL for you to see some of the support pages from my provider.

http://web1.pair.com/pair/support/library/systemcgi/cgiwrap.html

What cgiwrap does is nothing more than running under your user ID. Such is necessary to create files and directories under your user IDs and it depends of some type of server config.?. Further, it helps you in debugging technically. In early days of developments, we used to post messages with those debugging messages too. This really helped to understand. However, I am equally less experienced.

It will not only explain you with clear and nice examples but also some more help and support on handling other things, in case if you look for support.

Quote Reply
Thanks Alex,

I've sent you the information via PM....much appreciated!

Perl Hopefull