Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

OMG!!! It purged them ALL!!!

(Page 1 of 2)
> >

OMG!!! It purged them ALL!!!
I wanted to tidy up... So I did a purge.. it said that 26 users were going to be wiped... Ok... I said...
But NO... It did the Friggin LOT!!!

WHY?

Capt*

Re: OMG!!! It purged them ALL!!! In reply to
Uh oh...

You're the second one - this has been reported in this forum not too long ago.

Aparently its not a bug...

...but I haven't been game enough to try it...

...and you're number two.

:(

R.

To say I am slightly annoyed would be a huge understatement..
And I bet there is nothing I can do...
Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Capt*

Can you re-import everything from a backup?

R.

Hello!

See my thread first.

""Purge users: messages""

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=GMDisc&Number=153867&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

I can laugh on the confidence (or over-confidence) of Alex again and again, the manner how he fools around.

In Reply To:
We are very confident purge users works as described. --- Alex
My installation was a live one and when this happened, I did not have a backup. All those six hundreds users data do not contain their demographicsanymore as it wiped out in there. I however stopped it through the browser and the confidence in Alex`s programming came into an end and my common sense started working, thank GODDD. Through this I saved the login users table.

Instaed of offering an Appology to me at the loss of demographics of my users due to faulty programming, he offered his confidence against it as a programmer!!! HA!!! This has been more irritating that the loss, and further more, now due to this critism, I am a bad Guy, shame on me, and my posts will not be paid attention to!!! Thats how GMail and GT works.

I was actually very much waiting for an anathor victim to prove that the confidence of Alex is nothing but over-confidence!

Rajani

In Reply To:
I can laugh on the confidence (or over-confidence) of Alex again and again, the manner how he fools around.
Rajani, I have been reading most of your posts over a matter of weeks and have never commented, but now I wish to.

Many of your posts are very rude towards Alex and Gossamer-Threads. Alex ASSURED you that he felt confident that the purge feature worked. This is not over-confidence or "fooling around".

If the purge feature works for him (and I'm SURE he tested before telling you it worked) then there is nothing he can do and it must boil down to user error. I'm not sure what you want him to do for you apart from administer Gossamer-Mail for you.

If you would like his help, I'm sure he'd be happy to give it to you but rude remarks aren't going to help the matter.

As far as not having a backup goes, well there is only one person to blame for that.

Mods:http://wiredon.net/gt/download.shtml
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/

Hello Paul!

By entering into a deadlock of Site down on a running site and a mind blowing trouble shooting for 18 hours simply because either the Staff forgets to insert modules name like use = folders; etc, and launching a new feature of site down without telling people whats going on, I am not able to take it funny at all.

I have paid a lot of price (Energy) since the begining in the last two years, the time when you where not around. You may be a perl lover but I am not. So if I have to go through a hard time because of a simple carelessness by GT, then its only fair to express them, and if I find them to criticise "Hard" thats my decision. I do so only because it builds over a period of time and the Gang behind Alex simply play the music he likes, which is not far from correct, but when I see a lot, I feel I need to speak and have a conversation, regardless to the costs of sacrifice of return gentlemenship from GT.

Look at my message about the purge users. Was there any reaction? Any say? Users gets screwed up any any reaction from GT??

I need to do the back-up for known reasons and not before every function listed in the menu. If I am presented in the menu, I use it with a confidence that it has been tested untill launched. It has not been a Beta version that I was using, but rather, 2.0.2 stable. I cannot come to the idea of using a simple function of purge and making a back-up before. So to modify a user also I need to make a back-up too?

Even now there are so many bugs that I have identified, that I cannot beleive that they are still there. This is also no joke.

So Paul, if I may seem hard, thats really the intention. Nor do I hate Alex nor his programming.

What I hate is attitudes and values that affects the users and as a response, there is no reaction. By this attitude I mean launching versions with tons of extra-ordinary interesting researches and development, and then not even bothering to insert the package information on which the users have to have hours of waste of time, or carelessly floating the scripts which does like Purge or making obvious mistakes, and then not helping people as a re-action.

Look at the LOST_Password option. In the database, I have half the users who have a password question and other half do not. I was not warned about using it and its consequences. As a result, the users who do not have an answer to the pass, because its not there, will not be able to log-in. There has been a complain but no remedy till today. My users gets screwd up and I remained an ignorant Administrator, simply because there was no where written that one should not change the password option after start.

Those are the issues arising that affects the users. To address them is one thing and to classify them into rare occurances is anathor thing and worse, to load them into selves of next realease in anathor thing. It is on the level of addressing the issues in a responsible way is what I am trying to talk about.

I equally like GT as you and the programming. Alex knows this. The best what I like is the ability to gulp or neglect hard reviews from me and others of the work.

Rajani

Hello Paul!

Commenting further,

In Reply To:

If the purge feature works for him (and I'm SURE he tested before telling you it worked) then there is nothing he can do and it must boil down to user error.
Yes, lets leave at that that that was a user error and that there is nothing that he can do.#

So there is no work on it and that the users have to figure out for themselves if they would like to use it or not.

I would not dare to touch on a running installation assuming that the feature is not there.

Well, thats how it is. I refrained to insert any message further in the other thread, obviously I did not want to continue.

And here as well.

Rajani

Go find another product if you are not satisified.

Hate to break it to you, BUT NO SOFTWARE IS BUG-FREE! NONE WHAT SO EVER!

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/

In Reply To:
Yes, lets leave at that that that was a user error and that there is nothing that he can do.#

So there is no work on it and that the users have to figure out for themselves if they would like to use it or not.
Please don't twist what I'm saying. Don't get me wrong, I sympathise with your situation and I am not saying you are at fault and Alex shouldn't help, infact quite the opposite as I already stated:

In Reply To:
If you would like his help, I'm sure he'd be happy to give it to you
I just don't feel you are being reasonable. If you want the problem "fixed" immediately then pay for private support, if not, don't expect an immediate solution to all your problems and don't throw about accusations and comments that are likely to result in less assistance. (Believe me I know what it's like).

Hello Eliot!

I am expecting more music players to come and bark on me, actually. Because I am a bad guy. HA!

Within minites. Vow, what a gang!

Instead of actually applying their minds as to whats going on, people simply have to play funny tune, which I seem to kind of find it interesting, what and how and how quick people play the music, as against communicating anything intellectual.

Rajani

Hi,

Please send me an email with shell info and I will see what's going on.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Hello Eliot!

In Reply To:
Go find another product if you are not satisified.

Hate to break it to you, BUT NO SOFTWARE IS BUG-FREE! NONE WHAT SO EVER!
Hey, lets continue.

How much Alex pay you for constantly protecting his business interest?

Do you have any sensible thing to discuss?

Ho is talking about BUG FREE thing here. I am talking about carelessness. Get it in your head.

Lets discuss further. I invite you.

I have my database screwed up and who are you to play and tweek on me?

The database got screwed up because of no mistake of mine.

I have had enough of such silly things. Links SQL version 1.13 produces 60 Megabytes of Validate page from Admin and I am not able to use it. Nor I can import into Links SQL 2.0!

All the products I purchase from GT, this is the result?

Alex!

I invite you also to discuss with me. Is this the way to go about it?

Rajani

Rajani, you are creeping over the line of decency. Just be careful what you say.

None of the forum members are paid or rewarded in any way by Alex, we just have respect for him.

Hello Paul!

In a way, you are right.

But I cannot keep myself shut with this kind of non-sense, go and buy anathor product. What and why does one have to say for.

Not necessary at all. That makes me angry and such "Barking" GOES ON AND ONE. I have had enough of such a Bulshit (Sorry to say this) and kind of a torchure and suffering, simply trying to install and get the scripts going.

A constant resonance and resistance.

Instead of Cheers as a signature like Alex does, I should make a signature:

Please keep unproductive and unconstructive music off!

The person who is the victim knows the pain and the problem. But a person who simply keeps on playing the trumpet is far away from understanding the pinch.

No one is paid. We know that. But than why does Eliot have to come and say, Go and Buy anathor product. What has he to do with my problems. Simply say, for the sake of saying. Just jummping around. For nothing.

Thats what I do not like. I even now invite people to play music more on this thread or at me and lets talk guys.

Eliot!

Why dont you answer me? Why dont you promise yourself to be nice and kind upto the extent you want to users, but excluding the barking for GT products? Atleast not at the moments when a user is terribly disturbed? Hey? Come and talk with me?

Rajani

Hello Paul!

You may have respects for Alex. I do too. Even now.

And if you have respects for him, please find a way to express it. To bark in this way to users who had problems is then not correct. One should define their actions and territory as to what to say and what not to. It is very easy to say, but difficult to say little ot controlled or not at all.

Did you ever see me telling to anyone, well, thats your problem, that custom things, pay for it, or for that matter, Go and buy anathor product if not satisfied.

I have tried to help people in my capacity in somehow drawing attention to or giving tips. But never ever blamed someone or take side of GT where it was not necessary and that not my responsibility.

People have been crossing limits in this forum like a little Mafia, feeling great or having had lots of knowledge of Perl but crossing limits as to what they should not say regarding GT and their products. Simply self-undertaken tasks to safeguard GT products.

They can do so and I have no problems with but when it comes to people who had problems and then BARK like a DOG onto them, I cannot handle it any more.

This has happened and people could look into the past threads, searh my post.

Rajani

If (as you claim) Alex/GT is the cause of all your problems then why is it only you who seems to have such problems with the scripts?

No-one else that I know of has such problems. Thats why I have to assume that it is not the scripts at fault.

Hello Paul!

Oh! Yes, I have an answer, if you can answer my question.

What vital interest do you have in digging out as to if I am the only one to have problems? And continuing non-constructively, questioning?

This is exactly the attitude which I am talking about, that some of the users somehow take it granted and talk for nothing.

Your question does not help me constructively in any way. If place a question, than place it that it makes sense in a constructive way.

If I assume that you are trying to find out that I am the stupid guy, than I am. Thats why I am having a problem. My server has a buggy Perl installation and it did not work correct and will never work correct. Thats the problem.

Alex and his programming is not a problem at all!

Its me!!!

I am the stupid one to use the function Purge without knowing that it can screw the database. I am the stupid one that did not know that Validate function in the Admin of Links SQL 1.x would produce crazy Megabytes of webpage, simply because there is no spanning in the Admin!!! Alex did not learn it yet or did not have time to insert codes yet. I should have known this and have keept it aside it the use did not make it easy for me to use. Why did I use it. Why did I buy it then? Its ME who is stupid and no-one else.

Its me who is stupid to not to check the scripts and de-bug them if there where package information missing. Thats my fault.

Got it Paul? Thats my fault and no one. Also no-one has any problem. Its only me. Got it Paul!

Rajani

Sorry Rajani but I'm not interested anymore.

I made my point and have nothing more to say.

Hello Paul!#

Thankyou so much for giving up.

For the next time, if you can help me in a constructive way, please answer, and I shall too. But please do not "Catch or try to catch" people in the manner how you did.

You have helped many users and I do sincerly hope that I have not disturbed your intentions of helping others because of my course of reaction. Do help people in as nice way as you did ever before, if you may choose to.

And please excuse me for the way I reacted to you.

Rajani

Does anyone need a shoulder to cry on? It seems like someone needs a timeout! LOL

Avrey

I have been following this forum for the past year and
I believe Rajani should get some credits first... on this "Purge users Bug found"!. He might be rough but I believe he is kind of "wake up call" for Alex ...Please Alex do not ignore his input.
Thanks

Hello!

Thanks.

But I am never rude in the begining. See my threads

http://gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=152526;#152526

Thats my protest against attitudes GT takes against problems.

My database get screwed and the users have problems!

Alex understood and reacted in a cool way, "Well, thats your problem!"

And like Paul Wilson said before his "Timeout"

---"Rajani, you are the only one who has the problem!"

Nor there is any reaction further nor is there a hint that it may be revised further. Nor there is a say that GT shall insert a note for other users about the consequences of changing the password option at a later date.

As you can see, I am never rough in the begining. Ice needs time to melt!!!

Matos in reply to:
Quote:
He might be rough but I believe he is kind of "wake up call" for Alex ...Please Alex do not ignore his input.

i just started reading this post and i see that on the 4th, Alex has already posted that rajani should email him shell info. I don't know, but it seems to me that that isn't ignoring his input.

Rajani,
Don't take anything I say as me justifying anything that has happened to you, but you said that you never start off rude, but the very first post you did in this seemed rude, saying that Alex just fools around when users have problems.
I also don't see how you can say that Alex just has over-confidence by saying the features should work. He can't run everyone's copy for them. The copy he has works, so thats why he said it. He's probably tested on others sites. I'm sorry that you feel your posts go uncared for, but there are many problems on this forum posted each day, and they might not have time to just drop everything and work on your problem. I mean, there are the people who basically gripe about bugs, and not getting helped, and then there are those who gripe about eta's on upgrades. They can't do both at the same time. So they will miss some things. But once again, i do feel bad that you lost all of your users. I would've definitely backed up though.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net

Hello!

Thanks for your response.

I was and am now ofcourse careful to use products from GT. But simple functions one cannot fear to make a backup before. To modify, one cannot make a back-up. To search one cannot make a backup, every time and every function. The scripts have to be fear free for a normal user to use.
Moreover, How, a simple MySQL Dump does not work to install from scratch. There really needs a better Backup utility. GT says, that in our doto list, but the list is so long and until users does not make a lot of noise, it will not come out untill next year or never.

Links SQL has a backup utility. This has to be the first utility function, according to me, integrated in all the products. From the begining I have had problems. Simplly because there are many many things that are really really part of it and becomes a necessary to work with.

I did not send any info of Telnet, as I in principle would not allow anyway,

secondly, it is possible to check on a test installation some debugging via web admin

and thirdly the bug was traced by Alex and Bugwash very quickly, anyway!!! I got a message as following:

-------------From Alex------------------
Hi,

We have identified a rather nasty bug in purge users that can
unwittingly purge all users, rather then selected users in rare
circumstances.

We will be releasing an update to Gossamer Mail tommorrow that will fix
this bug, in the meantime, please do not use the purge function in the
Gossamer Mail admin.

My thanks to Pugwash for helping me track this down, and my apologies to
those who have been affected by this bug.

I will send an email again as soon as the update is released, but if you
have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Alex
-------------From Alex------------------

On serious cases like those I spotted out, it is simple intentional carelessness that I have observed, since a long time. I do have my serious reasons for it. Alex may come and opose my saying, please.

If the care was taken, then the second person would not be a victim of what I had to go through. He may have a bug free copy as you said, but we all are supplied buggy copies, and it would be only fair to ask the users what exactly was the problem.

I did describe it, without being rude, and when I see someone being a victim of it, I found it terribly terribly stupid of Gt to not even work togather with me. As if "Ah, we do not care a damn". I felt more sorry for some one else who got into a similar situation and that makes me furious more than my own database getting destroyed.

Just unfair.

Further, the same attitude continues. Lost password option was and is a headache for me. My users have a problem.

Now more updates shall come and they will forget something somewhere and users remain under pressure to update and look around and place messages and all this.......

There has to be some Morale and responsibility. Is there anything done about my problem of password? They dont care. They dont move. They are not obliged to, are they? No.

So users, who got into shit has to suffer for no fault of them, and GT claps hands.

Thats the GT now, as compared to a couple of years ago.
> >